• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A new video: how to prevent pain during drilling

Dr. Daniel

Dr. Daniel

Verified dentist
***CONTENT WARNING: video contains footage of dental scenes and instruments***

Hi everyone,

here is my latest video, hope it helps as many as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
An excellent video, as usual. A bit scary because I‘ve never had painful drilling after local anaesthesia and it never occurred to me that my dentist might not be able to get me numb (if he wants to! If he doesn’t want to though, I’m not going there again!). Fortunately current work is on my upper molars!
Always interesting to hear things from a dentist’s perspective. Thanks!

An excellent video, as usual. A bit scary because I‘ve never had painful drilling after local anaesthesia
Glad you liked it although it was not relevant for you.

Very interesting! I am one of those who has had pain when drilling (twice now). Thank you for the video.

Very good Dr Daniel, super practical and simply put! Thanks!

Very interesting! I am one of those who has had pain when drilling (twice now). Thank you for the video.
Thanks. Do you find this video enough? Would you have added more content on that topic?

Thanks. Do you find this video enough? Would you have added more content on that topic?

I think the content was good. It was thorough and covered what to do if the dentist didn’t have the computerized dental injection system. Mine doesn’t, but I am lucky that my dentist has no problem giving extra injections if I feel pain. I did not know you could do a cold test for that and I will definitely ask about that in the future. My dentist does a thing where he pokes at my gums and asks if I feel pinching but I have still had the tooth hurt when drilling. It was the back lower molars both times. I would rather know ahead of time by doing a cold test than having to stop if it hurt.

Thanks
I think the content was good. It was thorough and covered what to do if the dentist didn’t have the computerized dental injection system. Mine doesn’t, but I am lucky that my dentist has no problem giving extra injections if I feel pain. I did not know you could do a cold test for that and I will definitely ask about that in the future. My dentist does a thing where he pokes at my gums and asks if I feel pinching but I have still had the tooth hurt when drilling. It was the back lower molars both times. I would rather know ahead of time by doing a cold test than having to stop if it hurt.
thanks for the feedback. Very encouraging.

Thanks

thanks for the feedback. Very encouraging.
It is a great video. I had no idea what a computerized dental injection system was. I know my dentist doesn’t have it or he would have said something about it when I told him I have difficulty getting/staying numb. I love knowing that you can check for complete numbness before so I definitely learned something!

Thank you for the video! I am one of those people that has a problem getting my lower right molars to go numb. I had never had the cold test or heard of the computerized dental injection system. Thank you for the information! Btw, I was also told that my nerve is most likely not in the "normal" location and that is why I'm not getting numb.

We've also got a page on here on this very topic:

Back