• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Abscess 12 weeks after extraction

C

Ccbloom

Hi, I’m a bit scared out of my wits so if you could be gentle that would be great.

12 weeks ago, I had a root canalled pre molar extracted due to an irreparable fracture. The extraction went as well as it could have gone and healed normally. Before the extraction, the abscess was draining through a little pimple on my gum. After extraction, it took a few weeks for this bump to go down, but it did.

Fast forward 12 weeks. 2 nights ago I visited a new, private dentist, as I thought I was now at the stage where I could have some cosmetic treatment carried out. This morning I woke up to the bump on my gum back, empty socket there now obviously. It is draining ‘stuff’. There is pain but I can’t pin point it... yet.

I have been sitting here shaking and terrified that I have had a bone infection since the extraction and that I will become really ill and need surgery. Also, with Christmas round the corner, everywhere will be closed. I am terrified to go to the emergency dentist because of covid. I have sent my new dentist an email for an urgent appointment on Monday.

on Thursday night, I had x-rays and photographs taken, as well as a very thorough check of my mouth. Would an infection 2 days before the bump have been apparent?

Could the tooth next to the extraction site now be infected, but it has found the same pathway to drain from?

I really appreciate any help. I’m struggling to cope. I have been doing really well with my dental phobia but this has really scared me.

Don't panic, it could be several other things without being a recurrent abscess. For instance, there are loads of minor saliva glands in that area, one of them could have been traumatised by something, eating a sharp edged bit of food, the dentist's x-ray holder (if they used one) and a few other things.

Thank you Gordon, your reply and reassurance are really appreciated. He used an x-ray holder on each side and also a pair of metal clamps to take photos of my bite. He used the wee jaggy instrument too, so it would make sense.

May I pick your brain again please @Gordon ? After everything calming down a bit yesterday, I can feel a pin point sharpness coming out of the lump. I have had bony spicules after every extraction (the last one eventually came out 9 months later!) but I have never had any type of lump bursting or infection-like symptoms with it?

Bony spicules can certainly come out like that, the infection like symptoms are your body chucking white blood cells at them and starting the inflammatory process in that area.

Don't worry about using Scottish words, it's educational for the Sassenachs :)

Bony spicules can certainly come out like that, the infection like symptoms are your body chucking white blood cells at them and starting the inflammatory process in that area.

Don't worry about using Scottish words, it's educational for the Sassenachs :)
Great to know, thank you so much for taking the time out of your day to answer. Haha, I’ll keep it up then ?

Back