L
LDW
Junior member
- Joined
- Apr 4, 2024
- Messages
- 9
- Location
- Michigan
Hello,
My right first molar on the bottom is abcessed and has been for the last two or three years. Luckily, it was root canaled 35 years ago, so it isn't causing much pain. Just occasional aches in my jaw and ear. I had two upper molars pulled several years ago after months of intense pain, and I couldn't take it any more. The dentist was amazing and slowly worked with me to get the teeth out. He has since retired. So, in the upper molars, he was able to numb just the gum around the teeth and I couldn't even tell that anything was numb but the procedure was pain free so it was definitely numb around the tooth. So, the problem now is that this is a lower molar and I have been told that I must have the nerve block, which numbs the whole side of my face and mouth. I am terrified of any kind of medication, I don't even take aspirin. I would be much more comfortable if I can have the infiltration and not the nerve block on this lower molar. I am wondering if it will be enough considering the nerve is long gone and the tooth is not 'hot'. I also read that sectioning the tooth would also make for an easier removal. The tooth is broken in the front almost down to the gum line. I really want to get this tooth out, but I need the least amount of safe numbing with the lowest chance of any side effects. I also have PVC heart palpitations so I read that Carbocaine would be the safest option. I am 64 years old. Any chance that Infiltration might work in this case with a low dose of maybe one cartridge of Carbocaine? Or is that just wishful thinking? Thank you.
My right first molar on the bottom is abcessed and has been for the last two or three years. Luckily, it was root canaled 35 years ago, so it isn't causing much pain. Just occasional aches in my jaw and ear. I had two upper molars pulled several years ago after months of intense pain, and I couldn't take it any more. The dentist was amazing and slowly worked with me to get the teeth out. He has since retired. So, in the upper molars, he was able to numb just the gum around the teeth and I couldn't even tell that anything was numb but the procedure was pain free so it was definitely numb around the tooth. So, the problem now is that this is a lower molar and I have been told that I must have the nerve block, which numbs the whole side of my face and mouth. I am terrified of any kind of medication, I don't even take aspirin. I would be much more comfortable if I can have the infiltration and not the nerve block on this lower molar. I am wondering if it will be enough considering the nerve is long gone and the tooth is not 'hot'. I also read that sectioning the tooth would also make for an easier removal. The tooth is broken in the front almost down to the gum line. I really want to get this tooth out, but I need the least amount of safe numbing with the lowest chance of any side effects. I also have PVC heart palpitations so I read that Carbocaine would be the safest option. I am 64 years old. Any chance that Infiltration might work in this case with a low dose of maybe one cartridge of Carbocaine? Or is that just wishful thinking? Thank you.