• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Abscessed tooth. Covid guidelines. No treatment U.K. Please help.

D

danni0509

Hi. I have been to the dentist today (England) had an xray and told I have a dental abscess. (I had problems with this tooth 8 years ago & im certain it was root canaled but the dentist I see today (not the same dentist as 8 years ago) said the xray doesn’t show a root canal bizarrely but anyway there was an abscess.

I have been prescribed amoxicillin 500mg x 3 per day for 5 days which I’ve already started. At the desk afterwards they booked me in for tooth removal for Monday morning.

This afternoon I got a call from my dentist (private practise) to say my appointment was now cancelled as all fillings / extractions even in urgent circumstances are cancelled and they can only prescribe antibiotics and advice to patients due to the new Covid dental guidelines. (Fair enough, dentist protection - I do understand)

They don’t know when they would be allowed to book me back in could be weeks could be months. (Her words)

My questions are, what happens if these amoxicillin don’t work? What do I do? get different antibiotics? How likely are these antibiotics to work and buy me some time?

Any advice please.

1) Different antibiotic as a first step.
2) Hard to say, but usually they'll give a couple of months grace at best.

There will be treatment centres for acute care, here in Scotland the Public Dental Service is running them, I assume the English Community Service will be doing similar.

Thank you for your time Gordon.

Danni0509

Just want to say I'm so sorry you are dealing with an absess at this time. I hope the antibiotics can give you some relief and buy as much time as possible!!:grouphug:

Hi Danni0509,
Antibiotics will most likely suppress it for weeks or months. The special centers which should be able to deal with it should it become a problem should be set up way before it becomes an issue.

Lincoln

Back