• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Abscessed Tooth or Not?

I run out of antibiotics tomorrow. I called my dentist office back, because my tooth doesn't feel too much better. I mean, I have no 'throbbing' pain in the tooth anymore, not really, but it also doesn't really feel any better. I can't really bite down or eat on that side, as it does begin to hurt with pressure.

Which makes me think that either the antibiotics aren't working, or it was slow to work. I left a voicemail, updating her about my visit Friday and my concerns about the antibiotics, and just waiting to see if and when she'll call me back.

Summersunshine..

I really hope they get back to you quick.. and wish you could get some relief and normalcy on being able to eat .. :grouphug:

Summersunshine..

I really hope they get back to you quick.. and wish you could get some relief and normalcy on being able to eat .. :grouphug:

My dentist called me back, she said she doesn't see them opening back anytime soon, due to the virus. So tomorrow, I'll call another dentist and see if they can get me in either before the weekend, or next week.

This is just my luck. She did say that if she wanted me to, to call them back and she'll call in a higher dose of antibiotics, but she didn't want me on them long term, because it could become resistant, the infection could, and that if I knew I wanted to get it out, to go and have it removed. I understand that, just hopefully this place won't cost me an arm and a leg.

Good luck with other dentist, hope you get some help soon, under affordable conditions. The quote for the root canal is crazy. I know that cost for dental care in US is not fun, but this is incredible.. :faint:glad the tooth settled a bit at least and keeping my fingers crossed for you to find a dentist that can get you in asap. :clover:

All the best wishes and keep keeping us posted!

Good luck with other dentist, hope you get some help soon, under affordable conditions. The quote for the root canal is crazy. I know that cost for dental care in US is not fun, but this is incredible.. :faint:glad the tooth settled a bit at least and keeping my fingers crossed for you to find a dentist that can get you in asap. :clover:

All the best wishes and keep keeping us posted!

I got an appointment for a Dentist on Monday. Be around $400, but it's gotta be done :/

I called the other place to get my x-rays, so I can send it to this other place. Looking back, I can see the infection. I don't think those antibiotics worked. My tooth is so sore.

Summer Vanderpool PA 04242020.jpg

Hi SummerSunshine,

Sorry to hear the trouble you’ve been going through with this dental infection. It may have been explained to you but just to clarify, the antibiotics are only a temporary measure to ease the pain until the tooth is effectively treated. The source of infection is within the tooth so although the antibiotics will reduce the infection around the roots, it does not get ‘into’ the tooth to treat it effectively.

The bacteria within the tooth can only be removed by either root canal treatment or removal of the tooth. Until then, the shadow around the roots on the x-ray will remain, even if you got a second antibiotic. The aim of the meds is to control your symptoms and tie things over until it’s appropriate to have it treated as you choose.

If you have only been prescribed amoxicillin and your symptoms are continuing, it may be helpful to add an additional antibiotic such as metronidazole. Different antibiotics can target different type of bacteria.

Hope this info is of some use to you.

All the best with your dental care moving forward.

Niall

Yup! Got an appointment for Monday to get it taken out. It's going to be between 350-400 dollars, and hopefully not a penny over that.

You’ll be glad to have it all sorted. All the best, Niall

Thanks to all y'all! My appointment in like three hours, and I'm just trying to curb my dental anxiety that has crept up on me, although I know what to expect :/

Thanks to all y'all! My appointment in like three hours, and I'm just trying to curb my dental anxiety that has crept up on me, although I know what to expect :/

Everything is going to be ok. It will be great to have it completed ?

Update!

It is out! And it freaking hurts. The whole extraction took less than 10 minutes, though she had to stop in the middle of it to give me another injection. It was very uncomfortable, and it did hurt a little. The tooth was stubborn to come out, and I think the only reason why it had hurt was because there was still infection there.

Update!

It is out! And it freaking hurts. The whole extraction took less than 10 minutes, though she had to stop in the middle of it to give me another injection. It was very uncomfortable, and it did hurt a little. The tooth was stubborn to come out, and I think the only reason why it had hurt was because there was still infection there.
Glad it is out! It will hurt for a while but will get less each day. Tomorrow will be better. Make sure you take ibuprofen or Tylenol or whatever they gave you if they prescribed something. Take it regularly to stay ahead of the pain. Once you get past the painful part, you are going to feel SO much better!

The Tylenol has kicked in a bit, the site has stopped oozing. The only thing now, is to refrain my tongue from touching the site, and the extra saliva.

Can anyone tell me if it's normal for the tooth "next door" to be hurting, almost a week after an extraction....?

Can anyone tell me if it's normal for the tooth "next door" to be hurting, almost a week after an extraction....?
My nearby teeth hurt for several weeks after an extraction. It didn’t really start until about a week after, then hurt for two to three weeks. My oral surgeon said it was normal. If it does not fade, though, you should probably have your dentist take a peek.

Yes it's fairly common, usually caused by the dentist "leaning" on the neighbour teeth during the extraction.

Back