• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Abscessed tooth to get a crown

T

Tina Roppolo

Junior member
Joined
Jan 28, 2016
Messages
12
My front tooth had an abscess in 2010 and my dentist put a root canal in it.
In 2018 I had a root canal retreatment to improve some of the grayness.
My dentist told me the time has finally come to crown the tooth (the only way to completely eliminate the discoloration).
My fear is I will lose the tooth after its crown. I had a molar that also had an abscess/root canal and I ended up needing an implant.
Anyone have a similar situation? Did the tooth hold up well?
 
Millions of people every year... If the root canal has been successful (after this length of time, one would say so) then there's no reason why crowning it would cause you to lose it.
Front teeth are a lot easier to root treat than molars.
You could consider a more conservative treatment if you're still worried about it, something like a walking bleach might help. Won't be quite as aesthetic as a good crown but much less aggressive. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5958990/
 
Back
Top