• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Absolutely terrified. In tears. Over thinking.

P

Perez818

Sooo my 3yo had cavities filled ending of August. She ended up with a tooth abscess so bad she was in the ER. A 3 YEAR OLD! It was due to the fact her cavities were to close to a nerve causing it to die. Anyways.
I think ever since then I started freaking out about my teeth.
I went for a check up in September! X rays and all. My teeth and gums were perfect!
Couple weeks later I noticed redness on my crown. On the back molar. I got a crown placed to protect the tooth. It cost me roughly $900! May 2019!
well they did an X-ray and noticed a very small chip in the crown down below. But I was told they would monitor it especially since I didn’t feel any hot or cold sensitivity. So I was like hmmm okay
Well I’ve been extremely stressed and exhausted lately. And I suppose I was grinding my teeth extremely hard because I woke up last weeek with the worse pain in my jaw!
I thought it was my impacted wisdom teeth! So I was getting anxiety and stressing more. I ended up going in on Thursday to check out my wisdom teeth and was told they didn’t need tobe taken out at the moment because they aren’t causing problems to my back molars! YET! And I have no tooth/teeth pain.
The dentist grabbed my face and pushed down on my jaw bone and asked if that’s where the pain was. I said YES! Cause it was right on point. She told me it’s due to grinding my teeth. And to get a night guard.
well yesterday I noticed when flossing my crown it started bleeding.
j don’t have any tooth/teeth pain. And the pain from my jaw was so bad on Saturday!!! I started crying. I did hit and cold compress. And took Advil with no relief. Sunday pain wasn’t bad at all.
Today no pain YET.
Idk if I’m over thinking it. Should I go back to get an X-ray?
should I wait it out? If it was a toothache could I pinpoint a tooth?

Should I go back to get an X-ray?

If the dentist grabbed your face and pushed down on your jaw bone, I personally wouldn't want to go back to them. Is there another dentist you could see?

I think I made that sound awful
She basically pushed on my jawbone to show me inflammation
But no because I have government insurance!

Hi Perez818,

was what you meant the dentist palpating around your jaw and muscles on the face, which gets done to assess jaw issues?
My thoughts reading your post: baby teeth and adult teeth are different. I see how what happened to your 3-year-old set off a lot of worries about your own teeth, but her having problems doesn't mean you will too. One thing I didn't understand is this: your dentist suspects your issues coming from your jaw and recommended a night guard. What do you think about this suggestion? Because you wanting to wait it out or considering another x-ray and wondering whether it is toothache looks like you suspect it's something else? I was also wondering what you meant by "If it was toothache could I pinpoint a tooth?". If I got you right, your teeth are not aching, but your jaw!
Gums can bleed when flossing if there is some bacteria and crowns are more prone to that. It looks to me like there are several issues (the bleeding of your crown and your jaw pain) that may be unrelated, but maybe I just didn't understand properly. You stressed out the word "yet" on two spots in your post. For some people, the anxiety about teeth can become so strong that they start literally expecting problems to come up so I was wondering whether this was your case.
Hope you find a solution for the pain soon or maybe that it subsides on its own. I see how it's a circle - having stress means more tension and potentially pain and that stresses you out even more leading to more tension..

Hi Perez818,

was what you meant the dentist palpating around your jaw and muscles on the face, which gets done to assess jaw issues?
My thoughts reading your post: baby teeth and adult teeth are different. I see how what happened to your 3-year-old set off a lot of worries about your own teeth, but her having problems doesn't mean you will too. One thing I didn't understand is this: your dentist suspects your issues coming from your jaw and recommended a night guard. What do you think about this suggestion? Because you wanting to wait it out or considering another x-ray and wondering whether it is toothache looks like you suspect it's something else? I was also wondering what you meant by "If it was toothache could I pinpoint a tooth?". If I got you right, your teeth are not aching, but your jaw!
Gums can bleed when flossing if there is some bacteria and crowns are more prone to that. It looks to me like there are several issues (the bleeding of your crown and your jaw pain) that may be unrelated, but maybe I just didn't understand properly. You stressed out the word "yet" on two spots in your post. For some people, the anxiety about teeth can become so strong that they start literally expecting problems to come up so I was wondering whether this was your case.
Hope you find a solution for the pain soon or maybe that it subsides on its own. I see how it's a circle - having stress means more tension and potentially pain and that stresses you out even more leading to more tension..
Yes! She poked at my teeth and I told her that my teeth didn’t ache at all. It was my jaw so she started feeling my jaw and asked if it hurt and she got the exact spot where it ached! She told me if it’s my teeth/tooth I would have an ache forsure or sensitivity when eating. As of today my jaw pain has subsided! I did end up using a night guard two nights in a row. It helped a little.
so I have a crown that sometimes bleeds when I floss not always.
I’m just worried my crown will end up being infected or something because of the small chip it has.
and it’s kind of frustrating that would want to monitor it knowing what could happen if bacteria makes it’s way into the tooth.
I’m sorry if my post is all over the place!

Glad it subsided, that sounds like good news! Your post is not all over the place, my thinking was! :) What I believe may be the reason for monitoring is this: replacing a crown is expensive and puts the tooth (and you, obviously) under distress and it's a bit risky for the tooth too. That's why crowns do not get replaced unless necessary. Also, not every chip leads to problems. It is therefore much more sensible to monitor and only act if something starts to build up. This takes time so if you go to checkups regularly, you'll be fine.
Bleeding could be simply your gums being sensitive and that's often because of bacteria if the area wasn't flossed too well (gum inflammation is something different to when a tooth is inflamed, by the way). Flossing a bit more removes the bacteria again and all is well again. This is why the bleeding comes and goes. It happens often with crowns.

I would like to share two links with you, you may have come across them before. They're about how to take care of your gums and how to prevent tooth decay. Having accurate information about how bacteria really work and what makes them worse or better may give you an idea about what can lead to problems (and what can't).. because teeth can sometimes feel like a mystery and something you have no control over and that's not a nice place to be.

So here it goes:

All the best wishes

Glad it subsided, that sounds like good news! Your post is not all over the place, my thinking was! :) What I believe may be the reason for monitoring is this: replacing a crown is expensive and puts the tooth (and you, obviously) under distress and it's a bit risky for the tooth too. That's why crowns do not get replaced unless necessary. Also, not every chip leads to problems. It is therefore much more sensible to monitor and only act if something starts to build up. This takes time so if you go to checkups regularly, you'll be fine.
Bleeding could be simply your gums being sensitive and that's often because of bacteria if the area wasn't flossed too well (gum inflammation is something different to when a tooth is inflamed, by the way). Flossing a bit more removes the bacteria again and all is well again. This is why the bleeding comes and goes. It happens often with crowns.

I would like to share two links with you, you may have come across them before. They're about how to take care of your gums and how to prevent tooth decay. Having accurate information about how bacteria really work and what makes them worse or better may give you an idea about what can lead to problems (and what can't).. because teeth can sometimes feel like a mystery and something you have no control over and that's not a nice place to be.

So here it goes:

All the best wishes
Thank you ! Okay that’s reassuring. I go back in March! :) so not so far away! I got the x ray of the chip in October! And all is well still.
I honestly think the stress has caused so much physical pain to me. That I’ve never expierenced before. I was actually diagnosed with periodontal disease few years back.
the check up I had in September also determined the progress with my gums.
I was no longer inflamed AFTER YEARS of treatment!
mans everything looked great. My pockets were not pockets any more.
But I do believer it could flare up so that would makes sense as to why I bleed sometimes! My gums are sensitive.
Thanks again!