• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Afraid - erupted lower wisdom tooth extraction

M

Midwinter

Hey to all good people on this forum.
I hope someone can destroy my anxiety about removing my bottom left wisdom tooth. I had both upper ones taken out a year ago. It was over in couple of minutes, so all good there. But being a big chicken, i did not ask the surgeon how hard bottom ones will be :cry:

My left bottom wizzy is decayed so it should came out some time soon. But I am experiencing so much fear because of all the stuff I found on the internet. The tooth seems fully erupted.

How complicated this extraction can be? Is there a possibility the tooth can come out as any other or should I prepare myself for all the horrors with drilling and cutting? :cry:

I am attaching my x-ray so maybe someone smarter than me can take a look at it and maybe calm me down.

I will appreciate any answer.

Thanks
Midwinter

Attachments

• xray.jpg
    xray.jpg
    172.7 KB · Views: 17
Hi,

I had 2 bottom wisdom teeth that were under the gum removed, while I was awake.

It is very noisy but there was no pain. Just lots of noise and he did have to GRAPHIC...

break them so he could get them out.

If you are very nervous, stay off the internet! and if you really feel you can't manage find a place that will do them under IV sedation.

I have heard from other dentists that lowers are more difficult to pull, while uppers come out easily (usually)

try not to worry.

Thanks for Your answer, I really appreciate it!

But judging from the x-ray my tooth is not under the gum, rather erupted. I finally found a place where people are telling that if any wisdom tooth is fully erupted it can be yanked out as any other tooth with barely any problems. Can it be so?

Thanks,
Midwinter

Hello there! No need to worry, I had 3 impacted wisdom teeth removed and it was not bad at all. You will more than likely be under anesthesia which just makes you sleepy and you won't remember anything about the procedure. As far as healing, the swelling was far worse than the pain. Only having one removed might not even swell that bad! If you are nervous tell your dentist to prescribe you something for the morning of the surgery. My dentist always calls 2 Valium in for me to call the nerves before you even get there!

If you are not going to be using anesthesia, being awake is no worse. They will numb you good and you will only feel some pressure! Had four molars removed this way and it was not bad at all.

Wish you the best of luck!

Oh if they are not impacted then they are a lot easier to remove. My uppers were not impacted, they had erupted and were out very quickly, I said, that was it????

I was more afraid of the after effects of being sedated because I was sedated for a different procedure (not dental) before and I didn't feel well for a long time after.

Wisdom teeth are one of those things everyone like to tell horror stories about but in reality it's such a common thing and 99.9% of the time not a big deal!

Back