• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Afraid this pain will never go away

Yeah that's what I've gathered too, which is unfortunate. That stuff really helps get rid of them quickly! But it's only been 4 days since the extraction so too early to use it. Ugh!

So I made an appointment with an OS for Thursday morning for a consultation. My question is: Will he evaluate the tooth before he just pulls it? I'm at the point where I'm thinking it could possibly be the tooth next to it. My dentist says no but I'm losing confidence in him. This OS comes with good recommendations and he's not the go-to man for my dentist even though I do need to get the x-rays and some kind of report.

Both oral surgeons I saw for my teeth, looked at X-rays before extracting any tooth. The first one didn't look at the tooth itself, because it was a wisdom tooth, but he definitely looked at the X-ray. The second one took X-Rays, did an examination and then looked at them AGAIN the morning of the surgery. Pain can radiate from one tooth to the next and it can be hard to pinpoint the exact location of the pain. If it makes you feel better, maybe ask them to look at the X-rays with you and point out where the issue is? I could clearly see the issue on the x-ray they showed me.

Thanks. Are you feeling better today?

Than yesterday? Not really. I'm getting more pain than I was Sunday and most of Monday. And then it started to hurt again. I'm very frustrated and hoping this is just part of the healing or that I really did see a canker sore up above that's causing it. It seems every time I get something done, I feel good for a few days and then the pain returns. It makes no sense. Now there's not even any molars left back there and there are no cavities at all, so how can it still hurt? Very frustrating.

I thought I'd write a quick update on where I am (a week and a day out from the extraction). It seems like I go back and forth between no pain and some pain. It looks like parts of the clot may break away and reveal some gum tissue that is still healing. Then it hurts for a day or so and that starts to heal up and I feel better. Right now I'm getting weird twinges of pain but earlier today and yesterday I had none at all. Hopefully that'll go completely away in the next week or two.

I go back a week from Wednesday to have them take a look at it and because I'm worried about the tooth next to the extraction site. I noticed a brown spot on it (it would have been on the inside where a tooth was next to it). No one has said a thing about it with the X-rays and exams (two x-rays within a few weeks, the last one only a couple weeks ago; been to the dentist 4 times now and had that side of my mouth gone over). It may just be a cosmetic thing, but I'm making sure that's all it is! I told them I'm not waiting until my 6 month appointment to make sure it's nothing. I did that the LAST time and ended up with an extraction!

Crysania, Sounds like you're obsessing about this which is the same exact thing I am doing so I empathize with you. I got mine extracted yesterday. The OS said it was probably either leaking or cracked and gave me the choice of extraction or api. The pain isn't really bad but it's there and I swear it's the same as before and he just pulled the wrong tooth. I'm trying to calm down and not get too crazy -it's just hard to be positive when something goes on and on and on.

I felt JUST LIKE THAT. Like "did they pull the right tooth???" But it did get better. Now it's just sort of up and down. I'm thankful for the times when I have no pain! It's the first pain-free moments I've had in over a year!

Thanks for the encouragement. I am trying so hard to be positive!

I'm not even sure what to say but I"m listening and hope they get it right and all these troubles disappear soon!!

So just an update. Most of the pain is finally gone! I get some on occasion, on and off, but it's not 100% healed up. Some of it might also be sinus pain from my allergies, which are kicking my butt!

I went today to have the little brown spot on the tooth examined and..NOTHING. It's nothing!! The enamel there is strong and there's no sign of a cavity or enamel wearing down. He said it's just discoloration and as it's on the side of the tooth no one can see, there's nothing needed to be done about it! Good news for once! Now here's hoping I don't have to see another dentist until my next cleaning in November!

Thank you! If you do it, let me know how it goes! I'm definitely glad I had it in the long run as it was really quite painful and after the pain from the surgery went away it was much better.

I will also add that the procedure took very little time. I was there for only 15-20 minutes and half of that was waiting for my gums to be numb. The procedure itself was over in about 5 minutes or so.

And I feel you on the terrified thing. I've had a couple teeth extracted but both times opted to be put under. This is the first time I'll be awake for it and it scares the crap out of me. But I can't really afford the $600-800 to do it with the oral surgeon.

Hi crysania,
Hope things are good with you. I finally have the bone shaving “removal” procedure scheduled for this week. I am nervous about it. Found out this morning that my insurance will not cover IV sedation for this procedure. If I opt for that, I have to pay out of pocket around $250 for IV. Otherwise the OS gave me a prescription for 2 Ativan to take, one the night before and one the morning of the procedure. Don’t know what I’m going to do yet.

When you said that your bony lump hurt(before having it removed), what did it feel like? Do you remember how big your bone protuberance was? Was it sticking out towards you cheek or toward the tongue side of your mouth? Was it on the top or bottom? What was the pain like afterwards? Did you have dissolvable stitches?
Thanks for your help,

Hello! I hope that all goes well! In all honesty, getting that done was about 18 million times easier than getting a tooth pulled while not under sedation. I literally felt nothing the whole time. No pain, no pressure. Just a small whirring noise and it was over. I would not have opted for sedation as it really was a painless and easy procedure.

To answer some of your questions:

1. The bony spot was maybe half an inch across and stuck out maybe a few millimeters? I'm not really sure. I'd run my finger over the gumline and you could feel something sticking out and pressing against the gum. It felt pretty big at the time, basically about the width of the tooth that came out. I admit I'm super relieved that this last time I had one taken out this same thing didn't happen!

2. It was on the outside of my mouth on top, which is why I think it was so irritating. Every time I talked, my mouth moved against it and irritated it.

3. I'm honestly trying to remember how painful it was. Now I think "oh it wasn't that bad." But reading my original posts on it, it was probably worse than I remember. It was a sharp pain and if you touched it, it hurt pretty good and sometimes the pain would radiate up into my temples. It was especially painful if I pulled my mouth tight against it, which is something I need to do as a clarinet player. That was the final decision in going back to have it looked at.

4. After the procedure I was pretty sore. It felt a bit like someone had punched me in the face, but the pain went away quickly. It came BACK a few days later and the whole area was really an angry red. I suspected a mild infection. I called the dentist's emergency line as it was over the weekend and he suggested salt water rinses and if it didn't get better by the next day, to call and we could take a look at it. The salt water really helped and I ended up not needing any antibiotics. So DO YOUR SALT WATER RINSES.

5. I will add that they did a LOT of shaving down to smooth it out for me. There's almost an indentation there now. He did a lot more than usual, he told me, because he wanted to make sure there would be absolutely no problems playing my clarinet. So they might not do AS much for someone who doesn't use their mouth the way I did!

6. I did not have dissolvable stitches. I had to go back in 10 days later and get them out. That part was NOTHING. He snipped, a little tug and they were gone. That was probably the easiest part of it all. And going back was GOOD for me as he had a chance to look at it and let me know how it was healing.

All told it DID take a few months for the whole area to settle down completely. It was still tender to the touch for quite some time, but I didn't have a lot of pain from it (and some of the pain I had was from the remaining molar, which had some enamel worn off and was causing issues...I was never able to get in to my dentist to fix it and BOOM, I had that tooth taken out because it turned into a stupid cavity).

I will add that I had the procedure done on August 14 and I was ok to play at our first rehearsal at the end of September.

Hello! I hope that all goes well! In all honesty, getting that done was about 18 million times easier than getting a tooth pulled while not under sedation. I literally felt nothing the whole time. No pain, no pressure. Just a small whirring noise and it was over. I would not have opted for sedation as it really was a painless and easy procedure.

1. The bony spot was maybe half an inch across and stuck out maybe a few millimeters? I'm not really sure. I'd run my finger over the gumline and you could feel something sticking out and pressing against the gum. It felt pretty big at the time, basically about the width of the tooth that came out. I admit I'm super relieved that this last time I had one taken out this same thing didn't happen!

2. It was on the outside of my mouth on top, which is why I think it was so irritating. Every time I talked, my mouth moved against it and irritated it.

3. I'm honestly trying to remember how painful it was. Now I think "oh it wasn't that bad." But reading my original posts on it, it was probably worse than I remember. It was a sharp pain and if you touched it, it hurt pretty good and sometimes the pain would radiate up into my temples. It was especially painful if I pulled my mouth tight against it, which is something I need to do as a clarinet player. That was the final decision in going back to have it looked at.

4. After the procedure I was pretty sore. It felt a bit like someone had punched me in the face, but the pain went away quickly. It came BACK a few days later and the whole area was really an angry red. I suspected a mild infection. I called the dentist's emergency line as it was over the weekend and he suggested salt water rinses and if it didn't get better by the next day, to call and we could take a look at it. The salt water really helped and I ended up not needing any antibiotics. So DO YOUR SALT WATER RINSES.

5. I will add that they did a LOT of shaving down to smooth it out for me. There's almost an indentation there now. He did a lot more than usual, he told me, because he wanted to make sure there would be absolutely no problems playing my clarinet. So they might not do AS much for someone who doesn't use their mouth the way I did!

6. I did not have dissolvable stitches. I had to go back in 10 days later and get them out. That part was NOTHING. He snipped, a little tug and they were gone. That was probably the easiest part of it all. And going back was GOOD for me as he had a chance to look at it and let me know how it was healing.

All told it DID take a few months for the whole area to settle down completely. It was still tender to the touch for quite some time, but I didn't have a lot of pain from it (and some of the pain I had was from the remaining molar, which had some enamel worn off and was causing issues...I was never able to get in to my dentist to fix it and BOOM, I had that tooth taken out because it turned into a stupid cavity).

I will add that I had the procedure done on August 14 and I was ok to play at our first rehearsal at the end of September.

Hi crysania, thanks for your detailed info. I am dreading getting this done! I can’t imagine a scalpel coming at my mouth and having stitches placed in my gums while fully awake. This is like a nightmare. Did you just keep your eyes closed? I feel like a need to eat a lot of food, in case I can’t eat for awhile. Did you have any problems eating after? Did you stick with soft foods for awhile?

Sounds like it was a quick procedure. Did you use ice packs afterwards? Any swelling? I’m guessing your gums were healed up in a couple days?

Here is a photo of the area. Thanks for sharing your experience. It really helps to chat with someone who has been through this.

Attachments

• 5C7DF437-3AC6-4E25-9188-92F8DC12E014.jpeg
    5C7DF437-3AC6-4E25-9188-92F8DC12E014.jpeg
    776.4 KB · Views: 7
  • AD80D334-8928-47A5-AF2D-77A53CB9B703.jpeg
    AD80D334-8928-47A5-AF2D-77A53CB9B703.jpeg
    997.3 KB · Views: 7
Hi crysania, thanks for your detailed info. I am dreading getting this done! I can’t imagine a scalpel coming at my mouth and having stitches placed in my gums while fully awake. This is like a nightmare. Did you just keep your eyes closed? I feel like a need to eat a lot of food, in case I can’t eat for awhile. Did you have any problems eating after? Did you stick with soft foods for awhile?

Sounds like it was a quick procedure. Did you use ice packs afterwards? Any swelling? I’m guessing your gums were healed up in a couple days?

Here is a photo of the area. Thanks for sharing your experience. It really helps to chat with someone who has been through this.

So sorry for the delay! Have you had it done yet? If you had, how did it go?

In all honesty, I think I kept my eyes shut. I don't even remember seeing a scalpel or anything!

I had no problems eating afterward. I did stick with soft foods for the first couple days just because I was sore and wanted to make sure I was ok. I used ice packs for the first day but I had no swelling. My gums healed up pretty quickly. I went back about a week later to get the stitches out and I had to actually trim them up myself as some of them were just falling out on their own already.

It was definitely LESS of a worry afterward than getting the tooth out! I was back to eating pretty quickly compared to getting the tooth out.

Back