• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Not sure what is causing this pain? Afraid dentist is guessing...

C

cawhite

Hello all -
A few months back I went to the dentist and needed a few cavities filled. I am 30 years old and these were the first fillings I ever needed. I wasn't in pain, but I could see on the xrays the dark spots the dentist said needed to be corrected. Since having the dental work done, I have had a lot of trouble. I have pain in the back of my jaws (kind of a constant ache that worsens if I don't have medicine quick), and it runs down into my bottom jaws, sometimes all the way towards the front of my mouth. At first, the dentist told me my bite was off, and grinded down the fillings. When that didn't work, they said it might be TMJ and made me a splint, and put me on some muscle relaxers. When that didn't help, the dentist said that he thinks I need my wisdom teeth pulled. All 4 of them came in in my early 20's and are straight. I haven't had any trouble with them except a cavity in the top left which was filled. I went (before the splint and muscle relaxers) to a second dentist just to make sure that there was nothing wrong with the fillings or an infection...but he did xrays and said he couldn't see anything.
I just don't understand why my wisdom teeth would be causing me problems now after all these years?
Is there anything else I should have checked before I agree to have them pulled?
Any advice is appreciated...right now I'm taking 800 mg of ibuprofen and 1000 mg of acetaminophen every 4-6 hours just to get through the day...and I had all natural child birth so it's not just a low pain threshold... ;)
Also - he said he could do my extractions just under local...if I do get them out, is that advisable?​

I honestly don't know what's going on, if your dentists can't work it out with the advantages of seeing you and the x-rays then I've got no chance.

As far as the extractions go, wisdom teeth are just the same as any others, no reason why you'd need anything other than local.

Back