• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Afraid, very afraid and soon to be toothless:(

S

Soontobetoothless

Hi have posted on here for some support. I am 47 years old, hadn't been to the dentist for 8 yrs. I had had the same dentist from age of 9 to mid 30s. Anyhow I somehow have always had gum probs and my dentist did say I would be lucky to have teeth aged 40. Well, just got new NHS dentist, sent for jaw xray and now begin process in NY for partial on lower (keeping corner teeth) and full denture top. I am frightened and have mo friends that have been through this. Extractions start 22 Jan. Anyone got any experience of this and will my new teeth look similar to mine. (NHS)? I would be grateful for some comments. Thanks

Hi there, welcome to the forum! :)

I had all my teeth out on the NHS, but I can't tell you exactly how it will be for you, as it's different for everyone. Are you worried about the extractions, or just the denture? Do you know if you're getting an immediate denture? That's a temporary one they use while your gums heal up and settle.

It'll be a process, and sometimes it might be frustrating. They cannot know for sure how your gums will look once they've healed, so initially there is some guesswork involved. You might find yourself, at points, with a denture that is not fitting properly, but they can adjust them endlessly, and they will.

Talking may be difficult at first, but you'd be amazed how quickly we humans adjust to new things. Your tongue will learn how to work around the new denture pretty fast, and soon you stop noticing it.

When I put a denture in for the first time, it felt pretty weird, I must say. My stomach thought that if there was a thing in my mouth, it must be food, and started getting all grumbly the way it does when I chew gum and my mouth started salivating like mad. This passes really quickly, and sucking on a sweet helps in the meantime!

I got to have input on how the teeth on my permanent one would look, so I imagine you will too. If you want them to look a lot like your teeth, try taking a picture of your grin and giving it to them. They can match colour if you want.

It's not the most fun process in the world, but it's not so bad either. Remember to stay positive. And there are some benefits - like not having to experience a dentist drill ever again! :)

If you have any specific questions at all, feel free to ask. You'll be fine. :hug4:

Thank you. I am having immediate dentures then going back for permanent ones once healed. How much time would you recommend taking off work, a week. I'm a legal sec, have to meet people, speak on the phone etc. I was thinking about a week to be okish?

I imagine a week would be alright, barring any complications, but try make sure you can see your dentist regularly afterwards, because the gums will be receding and you want to keep on top of keeping the immediate dentures fitting. Practice talking as much as you can. To to the plants, talk to yourself, talk to any friends/family/partners, sing along to songs. That will help you feel more confident when you have to go back to work and be talkative again.

Back