• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Agoraphobic (of sorts) seeking advice

W

weeman

Hi, I'll try and keep this brief if I can. I am 35, have PD and GAD. With the help of an occupational therapist I made limited progress ( I can operate within a limited radius of my home). My anxiety couldn't be considered as under check as it fluctuates on an unpredictable day to day basis. I don't have dental anxiety, just an everything anxiety, cant go to doctors (home visits) opticians (home visits) and so on. I realise in the general parlance that's just enabling me and the anxiety and am working on it. Anyway, I had a filling a long while ago, and recently a part of the tooth surrounding the filling came away. There wasn't a lot of height to the tooth (it had split and she gave it an angled profile down to the lingual side). So the little corner broke off, I think below the gumline (twas a tiny bit of tooth left, filling is still there and my tongue is too big for a diagnostic prod in the hole). Anyway, the crux of my problem is this. I cant go to a dentist but know I need it fixed. I got myself some of the DIY filling stuff but my anxiety wont let me use it. Firstly is it safe to use near gumlines (glass ionomer), secondly should I bung some in to protect while I procrastinate on actually contacting a dentist. Do dentists do home visits, or do mobile dentists exist? I cant find any reference on sainted google to such a service in or around Glasgow (Scotland). Or should I contact my dentist who probably thinks I don't exist as I haven't been near them in around 7 years lol. Well aimed kicks up the backside or a shove in the right direction gratefully received. Thanks.

Hi :welcome: to the forum.

I know there dentists that visit people at their homes. I don't know where they are but I will see if I can find anything out for you. Keep the area clean and free of food until you manage to see a dentist. I think you need to contact your dentist and hopefully you are still on the list, they may know of someone that could come to see you. I do know they are limited to just what they can do when they visit you at home. But until someone can see you, you don't know what can be done.

I know people on here have used the kits to fix their teeth but I wouldn't have the guts, it has to be your choice.

I hope you can manage to see someone soon, if I find anything I will let you know. :butterfly:

Hi Carole, thanks very much for the welcome and responding, I know I don't entirely fit the brief as having a fear of dentists so it was good of you to reply. I know the kit would only be a temporary sticking plaster so am wary of sealing bugs in or masking a problem. Having read the ageuk site I'm already better informed, I didn't know dentists had to come out, I thought it would be them doing me a favour, so thanks! I'm one of those "don't want to put anyone out" types so mostly don't ask for help until I absolutely have to (maybe why I'm in the state I'm in, but I'll gloss over that one, the beauty of avoidance lol). Thanks once again, I will try my dentist and see if I'm still on the list (probably after procrastinating a little!).

You are most welcome. When you are ready and in your own time you do what you feel you can cope with and how.

I hope you will make the time to let us know how you get on. You are most welcome to stay and chat with us all if you wish, we are a friendly bunch and offer each other support where and when it is needed. Nice to see you here :dance2::dance2::dance2::yayy::cheer::cheer::cheer::dance::dance::butterfly::butterfly::butterfly:

I know there is a Community Dental Service who make home visits, because my lovely dentist in Warwickshire went into this branch of dentistry...if they are all as good as him, you will be well looked after. :XXLhug:

Back