• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Alcohol after extraction

  • Thread starter Thread starter VictoriaJ
  • Start date Start date
V

VictoriaJ

Junior member
Joined
Jul 30, 2026
Messages
1
Location
London
Please don’t judge me. Had lower tooth number 5 extracted this morning, whilst I terrified of dry socket I also am dependent on alcohol, typical consumption 3 or 4 medium glasses of white wine a night. I am aware of this and seeking help but I’m also getting divorced, two family members are seriously ill and I think that I will struggle not to be able to drink this evening so 7 or 8 hours after the extraction. Will that give me dry socket? 😭
 
How are you today @VictoriaJ ? I hope your mouth is ok and no sign of dry socket. I wouldn't think a few glasses of wine would make you all that much more susceptible to dry socket. (not a dentist!)
 
Bit late to answer now, sorry, I've been on Grandad duty for the long weekend. I was needing some wine myself last night!
Alcohol consumption doesn't cause and increased risk of dry socket, but it does increase the risk of bleeding from the socket. Alcohol tends to dilate superficial blood vessels. The bleeding isn't likely to be a big problem; especially after 8 hours and should be easy enough to manage if it happens... just apply a bit of pressure from gauze or an old (clean!) handkerchief.
 
Back
Top