• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

An outer piece of tooth came off where I had a deep filling?

Ihatedentistss

Ihatedentistss

Hi,

I was eating tonight and unfortunately some tooth came off the outside of a tooth I had a deep filling on. I don't know what to do...I'm not in any pain but I don't see what can be done for the tooth since it's the outside edge. I don't think I lost any actual filling...but I really don't want to end up with another root canal...$2,000 is a lot :( would my dentist just put filling on the outside of the tooth?

i had a similar experience once, around a few months ago, while eating Doritos, a part of a molar with a big filling, came off (i had a very weird sensation in my mouth while eating and that made me go look in the mirror to see what was wrong), it's a corner on the outside of it too. I think this can be repaired by redoing the filling, that's what my dentist did. I lost part of the tooth during the night, and i called them right at the opening hour and got an appointment the same day, since i thought it was urgent to repair this.

So you might have chances it can be repaired still. Go see a dentist as soon as possible.

Hi,

I was eating tonight and unfortunately some tooth came off the outside of a tooth I had a deep filling on. I don't know what to do...I'm not in any pain but I don't see what can be done for the tooth since it's the outside edge. I don't think I lost any actual filling...but I really don't want to end up with another root canal...$2,000 is a lot :( would my dentist just put filling on the outside of the tooth?

Any news? This exact same thing happened to me the other day. Suspect I'll need a root canal but dreading it. Hate going at the best of times. Hope you get sorted, I'm in on Friday :(

I'm no professional, but I would think that as long as the nerve in the tooth is good that the dentist might want to go the crown route instead of a RC. But I don't know.

Either way I'm sending positive vibes your way, I hope it works out quick, painless and as affordable as possible.

I'm no professional, but I would think that as long as the nerve in the tooth is good that the dentist might want to go the crown route instead of a RC. But I don't know.

Either way I'm sending positive vibes your way, I hope it works out quick, painless and as affordable as possible.

Thanks Soma I'm making an appointment Tuesday (my dentist isn't open on Mondays) but I'm getting nervous that an abscess might be starting...if it does at least I have some antibiotics I can take that were from a previous abscess that ended in a root canal. The problem is the filling was really deep and my dentist said before she ever filled it that it could very well end in a root canal at some point so that's why I'm really uncertain about the outcome. I really appreciate the good vibes, I need all of them I can get lol.

i had a similar experience once, around a few months ago, while eating Doritos, a part of a molar with a big filling, came off (i had a very weird sensation in my mouth while eating and that made me go look in the mirror to see what was wrong), it's a corner on the outside of it too. I think this can be repaired by redoing the filling, that's what my dentist did. I lost part of the tooth during the night, and i called them right at the opening hour and got an appointment the same day, since i thought it was urgent to repair this.

So you might have chances it can be repaired still. Go see a dentist as soon as possible.

Thanks, Raptor. I hope I'll have the same luck but it could take weeks to get an appointment with my dentist (the wait time is ridiculous) and due to the deepness of the filling I don't know what's gonna happen. I wish this were my only dental dilemma and it wouldn't be so bad.

Any news? This exact same thing happened to me the other day. Suspect I'll need a root canal but dreading it. Hate going at the best of times. Hope you get sorted, I'm in on Friday :(

Thank you, Powmeow! I feel your pain, literally. I'm so sorry this has happened to you too. No news yet on my end as I've still got to make an appointment but I fear an abscess may have started. I needed to make an appointment already last week but everything was really hectic. Hope all goes well for you...I'll keep my fingers crossed that you don't end up in a root canal!:clover:

Back