• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Another night guard question

The nightguard I currently have, the dentist told me he usually let’s the patients with it and they naturally adjust to the nightguard over the first few weeks without them having to touch it most of the time. When I had to go in because it was uncomfortable, he said he could see I was adjusting and grinding the nightguard with my teeth. In my case, one side was almost perfect while the other one still needed more grinding for it to be comfortable. He was able to grind the places I had started grinding myself with my teeth. He said it’s much easier to adjust once their is some wear and tear compared to a fresh new one and I should feel the difference quickly.

Last edited:
The nightguard I currently have, the dentist told me he usually let’s the patients with it and they naturally adjust to the nightguard over the first few weeks without them having to touch it most of the time. When I had to go in because it was uncomfortable, he said he could see I was adjusting and grinding the nightguard with my teeth. In my case, one side was almost perfect while the other one still needed more grinding for it to be comfortable. He was able to grind the places I had started grinding myself with my teeth. He said it’s much easier to adjust once their is some wear and tear compared to a fresh new one and I should feel the difference quickly.
That makes sense. I was worried about mine as there was pressure on my implant crown and I didn’t want it to move. Hopefully the dentist can adjust it this week.

@Gordon , I had the guard adjusted and it feels much better now, but I am still waking up with headaches that last almost all day. I thought they were unrelated at first. I noticed the headache after wearing the guard the first time, but dismissed it as a tension headache. They stopped when I went back to my old nightguard. Since adjusting it last week, I have worn it every night and have had a headache every day.

I don’t know how much more can be adjusted, but am I totally off base thinking the headache is caused from the nightguard? I don’t usually get headaches…maybe once a month if that.

Yes it's possible if it's stimulating your clenching habit for some reason, possibly just the "newness" of it. Don't have any easy answers for you I'm afraid!

Yes it's possible if it's stimulating your clenching habit for some reason, possibly just the "newness" of it. Don't have any easy answers for you I'm afraid!
So maybe give it until next week and then ask the dentist if the headaches continue?

Sounds reasonable.

Back