• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Another seriously neglectful phobic - with loose teeth!

  • Thread starter Thread starter scotsman44
  • Start date Start date
S

scotsman44

Junior member
Joined
Mar 5, 2010
Messages
10
I've been looking on here for a long time and trying to pluck up the courage to post, and knowing I'm not alone helps, but it's so hard.
I'm a complete dental phobic - like many people on here - and as a result have let things get into such a terrible state that I'm facing the worst. Most of my lower teeth are seriously decayed, and now the front two are slack. They've been like this for most of this year and I've managed to keep going but I am terrified that any day something is going to give and they'll fall out. I can't afford to have that happen just yet as I'm in the middle of a huge project at work and taking time out to get them fixed (and indeed losing them) is just not on.
I finally got the nerve up to contact a dentist a couple of months ago and had an appointment - then I was sent abroad for work and (genuinely) had to cancel. But now I don't know how to face rebooking.
I know that my teeth are in an awful state - I only have nine at the front of my lower ones left (and a couple of molars each side) due to losing some in the mid 1980s. I'm horrified that I may end up with dentures at my age but can't afford massive implant bills etc. and I'm sure my NHS dentist - when I finally get my nerve back to go - will tell me I need dentures.
I don't know quite why I'm posting this but any advice would be much appreciated. Has anyone had the same experience with loosening teeth as I have? How many weeks might I have left before they just pop?
Thank you for your time reading this.
 
We cannot tell you on here when your teeth will pop, or even if they will at all. The sooner you can go to see your dentist the better. You would be amazed at just what they can do these days to save teeth. They will do everything in their power to save teeth, if that is possible, even if you end up having to have them removed, you will still end up with a nice smile.
There are a lot of younger people that have some if not all false teeth, and only if you tell people will they know, once you go at least you know what you are dealing with. You might not need any false teeth at all.

I hope you find the courage and time to phone and make that first appointment soon. It will take a lot of the stress and worry away, and you can deal with what needs doing. Not guessing what might be.

All the best :grouphug: Let us know how you get on, when you feel up to it.
 
As Carole says the sooner you see a dentist the soooner things will be fixed for you and also the awful worry and stress will go. That makes things worse....all day, every day worry worry worry !
Before I plucked up the courage to go, I was thinking about nothing except the state of my teeth !

I dont know about your teeth but I seriously thought I would have to have all my bottom teeth removed before I went. The dentist sent me to have them all cleaned and now only one tooth needs to come out. A lot can be done to save teeth,you will be suprised.

Hope it all goes well for you.
 
They've been like this for most of this year and I've managed to keep going but I am terrified that any day something is going to give and they'll fall out. I can't afford to have that happen just yet as I'm in the middle of a huge project at work and taking time out to get them fixed (and indeed losing them) is just not on.

At times like that I always remember something a manager at work once said to me - "It's only a %&*ing job for Christ's sake !" ;D
 
I know you said that you are in the middle of a huge work project, and you can't take time out of work, but are you sure that isn't an avoidance strategy ? ;) Dental appointments can taken place early in the morning, or in the evening if that is convenient, as most dentists do try to be thoughtful about offering times to those who work full time. Also, I think you may have the idea that 'getting stuff ffixed' in your mouth will mean taking whole days off here and there. Things can often be done at a pace to suit you, and over many shorter appointments. The things is, at the moment you don't even know what you are facing and don't have a treatment plan, so even if you just went for an initial consulation and had the dentist tell you what treatment you need that would be such a massive positive start. Then you could focus on your dental health more fully when your projects completed ? I will add though that, just as you visit the doctor if you are ill and don't worry too much about missing a bit of work, it should be the same if you need dental treatment.

I know it sounds simple, but just pick up the phone and rebook an initial check-up, they won't worry about the fact that you had to cancel it once before. Did you find a dentist who could help awaits your phobia and fears ? I recall crawling in to my dentist with a terribly decayed wisdom tooth and in extreme pain, and saying it had been getting worse for a few years and I just left it. He laughed and said 'never a good idea to leave things'. The same applies to you now, leaving your problems longer won't resolve anything. It will get worse. However, it is always your choice whether to seek treatment or not, but it sounds to me like you are now really worried about losing these loose ones and so leaving it longer won't be beneficial.
 
Last edited:
Hey congratulations for posting here. People here definitely understand what you're going through. I'm in a similar situation and can't offer a success story, although I can say don't be afraid of partial or full dentures. I'm 20 years old and will have to get 10 teeth pulled. Yes it's scary to think of losing teeth but just view it as a fresh start. You'll no longer be in pain and your teeth will be perfect and white.

I was freaking out when I found out but now I view it as a really good thing. And like other people said, there are a lot of things they can do to save your teeth. Even if you do need them out now you can save for implants at a later date which I intend to do.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to post here. Everybody is amazingly nice and knows what you're going through. [smiley=hugging.gif]
 
Back
Top