• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anxiety about receding gums and tooth loss.

B

BeckiH

Hi,

So Iv noticed since having children that my gums have bled on and off for about 6 years, I have used corsodyl treatments and that seems to have helped slightly but recently I have noticed significant receding in my bottom front gums and I’m so anxious about my next appointment in august. I’m scared of tooth loss and I have been reading about periodontal pockets etc. I know I will need a hygienist appointment but I’m terrified of going. Help!! Is it as bad as I think?
I have a slightly movement if trying to wobble bottom teeth but is this normal?
97EE6890-F1F9-44D5-A1B7-F0A3EC82ABDC.jpeg

Doesn't look that bad to me, but it's impossible to be certain from a photo. Slight movement is perfectly normal, they're designed to do that to minimise stress on the crown. It's a tricky area to keep clean, so try using two hands to do it, use your "spare" hand to pull your lip down out of the way so you can get your brush into the area better and see what you're doing.

Okay thank you. I just feel like the front four are a lot long looking than they used to be. I have recently bought the oral b electric toothbrush and hoping this will also help improve things. I feel like I’m so paranoid about it. I keep feeling like my front bottom teeth are achey and having like loose feeling sensations. They also seem to click forward or back during brushing and then I can click them out again v slightly after brushing.

If my dentist ends up saying it’s severe gum disease etc…. Will a better hygiene routine with better products such as corsodyl help keeping everything at bay? So I don’t get to the point where I lose teeth?

Yes but not including Corsodyl.
You should read this if you haven't already :)

@BeckiH sorry I don’t have any dental expertise, but I just wanted to say that I’m in the exact same boat since having my daughter. I’ve never worried too much about my gums and teeth before but pregnancy was so unkind to my mouth. I’ve made the mistakes of googling all sorts too. It’s taken it’s toll on my mental health. The worry about losing teeth is overwhelming. I hope you manage to find some peace around it, and Gordon seemed to have some reassuring advice too which is great! Xx

Back