• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Anxious over baby tooth extraction

P

plusfish

Hi. I'm 13 and have one final baby tooth that needs to come out, as an permanent tooth has been exposed and can't grow in properly. It is slightly wobbly, but It is hard to wiggle it because it has shifted back up into my gum. My dentist (who is a nice lady one, much nicer than the one I had before but I'm still a bit uneasy) told me in February that I would have to come back on May 1st to get it extracted if it didn't fall out on its own. She also warned me that my bottom left molar is sticky, and I should clean it harder. This is hard, as this tooth makes me gag when I try to clean it. I (think) I do a relatively good job but it never feels completely clean, so this has made me feel scared as well. I know it won't kill me but I'm petrified that it will be painful. At this point I wish I didn't have to get braces, which is one of the main reasons why this extraction has to happen!

Hi and welcome plusfish :)

I'm happy to hear that your new dentist is nicer than the one before, but I also understand that you don't feel too confident - who would, when it comes to extractions.. The good news is that your dentist will make sure to get you numb so that you won't feel any pain. The second good news is, that extractions are very quick so it might be the fastest dental procedure you ever had. If the tooth is a bit wobbly already, it will be even easier. It would be a good idea to talk to your dentist beforehand and let her know what it is that worries you so that she can make extra efforts to put you at ease and make the treatment as comfortable as possible for you.
I'm sorry to hear that you feel scared because of that tooth that makes you gag. It sounds like you are really trying hard to keep it clean. This would also be a good point to discuss with your dentist. Dentists know that some people feel like gagging when it comes to brushing teeth so she might be able to help you find a way to keep that tooth clean.

Do your parents know about your worries?

All the best wishes

Hi. I'm 13 and have one final baby tooth that needs to come out, as an permanent tooth has been exposed and can't grow in properly. It is slightly wobbly, but It is hard to wiggle it because it has shifted back up into my gum. My dentist (who is a nice lady one, much nicer than the one I had before but I'm still a bit uneasy) told me in February that I would have to come back on May 1st to get it extracted if it didn't fall out on its own. She also warned me that my bottom left molar is sticky, and I should clean it harder. This is hard, as this tooth makes me gag when I try to clean it. I (think) I do a relatively good job but it never feels completely clean, so this has made me feel scared as well. I know it won't kill me but I'm petrified that it will be painful. At this point I wish I didn't have to get braces, which is one of the main reasons why this extraction has to happen!

Hey Plusfish,

First off welcome to the forum, you did the right thing posting your worries! When I was your age I had loads and loads and loads of dental work including baby tooth extractions and fillings so I know what you're going through!

So, let's talk about your baby tooth. They're so annoying aren't they? And you're so brave for even thinking about getting it out. Can you talk to your dentist (who sounds really nice) about your worries? If you do have to get it out, it won't be anywhere NEAR as bad as you are expecting, I promise. A quick jab of local anaesthetic then a bit of wiggling then it'll be under your pillow waiting for the tooth fairy in no time. Everything will be ok. If it has to happen in a month's time, it will and it may be a bit scary when it happens but it will happen and it will be over soon and pretty soon after you'll be holding the tooth in your hand and saying wow! that was in my head!?

Cleaning your teeth worries me too, even cleaning them a little bit gives me anxiety because I'm not sure if I'm doing it right! There are some REALLY good pages on this forum about keeping yer mouth nice and clean - check them out! The other thing I would say is floss floss floss! That's changed my dental health - I haven't had a filling in something like a year and a half since using floss. The trick is to wiggle it down the side of your tooth and bend it in a C-shape around the tooth then sort of waggle it around, making sure to go below the gum line. Other than that, a good mouthwash (I recommend Fluorigard!) and cutting down on sweets and sweet tea and fizzy drinks and like fruit drinks. Or if you can't (like me, because you have a crazy sweet tooth!) at least space these things out across the day, don't be drinking/eating them all the time, give your mouth some time to recover.

As for the gagging - can you breathe though your nose when you brush at the back? or tip your head back? Ask your dentist about tips for this too.

Have you told your parents about any of this? They can be great - maybe they'll have a few tips too!

Well done for posting and stay safe on the web - this forum's really lovely, but don't go scaring yourself by researching any dental stuff, ok? I know that's what I did (and still do now) and it's just not a good thing to do. You'll only frighten yourself. Keep going and keep safe alright?!

Sending you lots of sweet and gentle bear hugs, :bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear::bear:

HM

Back