• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Any options? Dentist said can't do implants but high gag reflex prevents dentures

N

Natah

Any options? Dentist said can't do implants but high gag reflex prevents dentures

I had a CBCT scan recently that indicated that my bone loss is too deep for me to have implants on the right side of my jaw. I have type 2 diabetes and have had rejected two implants prior to that. Since there are two molars missing and I can barely chew on that side, he suggested dentures.
My problem is I have a very hypersensitive gag reflex which I have no control over. I can even barely tolerate using the mouthguard designed to prevent protect my teeth from bruxism for the same reason.
My gag reflex is so intense, my dentist has often had use IV sedation for hygiene appointments. Are there any other options besides implants or dentures?
The idea of having a piece of removable plastic in my mouth is even for me, right now to make me gag.. and I'm just thinking about it :(

Re: Any options? Dentist said can't do implants but high gag reflex prevents dentures

Post some images from your CBCT
Questions?
What is your A1c?
Do you have any comorbidities?
Did the implants fail after awhile or just didn't take?
Have you had gum and or bone grafts?
Do you know what techniques wee used?

Re: Any options? Dentist said can't do implants but high gag reflex prevents dentures

A1C was last tested about 8 months ago and its due again, but it was 8.3 which is rather elevated. I've been put on insulin and so far blood sugar now has been in the normal ranges. 6.5 mmol/l fasting nowadays for the past four months, and been keeping on diet and exercise, though I have been having issues with hypoglycaemia the past week now.

Dentist has CBCT .. I'll ask him for it .
Co-morbidities.. hmm. I have psoriasis. Not sure if it counts. It just makes things hard if I cut myself and it causes a psoriatic flare.
Not sure if this counts either but I have anxiety disorder caused by ASD (high functioning), they used to call it "Asperger's syndrome".

Implants failed after two years. I do grind my teeth, and can barely take the mouthguard for it due to hyperactive gag reflex. And my jaw is so tight I land up with headaches in the morning and at the back of my head.

I had a gum graft at my front bottom teeth, which took fine. I think they used bone graft in the past but didn't do bone graft this time after they removed the last implant.
I was told the bone loss was too deep to even put a bone graft there... I wish I had the images.
I can give the name of the dentist and that, I live in Toronto.
My problem is I can barely even handle dentistry awake, even hygiene. I've gagged on my toothbrush, and xrays are torture for me awake. Normally they have to lay me flat on my back. :(

Post some images from your CBCT
Questions?
What is your A1c?
Do you have any comorbidities?
Did the implants fail after awhile or just didn't take?
Have you had gum and or bone grafts?
Do you know what techniques wee used?

I can't help you with your main issue, but do have a helpful tip on the gagging issue. I always had a hypersensitive gag reflex too, and just couldn't handle impression trays unless I was sedated, but for some odd reason, never thought that dentures would deliver a similar result. When I got my denture (upper), I just couldn't keep it in for more than a second or two, no matter how hard I tried. My dentist suggested trying to put it in while my mind was very busy doing something else, to take my mind off the issue, but that didn't work either. I decided to google solutions to gag issues, and one I came across sounded very logical, so I tried it. I brushed my tongue crosswise, as far back as the gag would tolerate for 15 seconds, twice a day, and kept trying to do that further and further each day. I didn't try the denture in again for a full week of tongue brushing, and unbelievably, I put the denture in easily after that and haven't gagged with it since! It's certainly an easy solution, because I only had to tolerate brushing the tongue for 15 seconds at a time (and of course I felt really gaggy while doing that), and I believe that it is a very logical way of desensitizing one's gag reflex. Good luck with all that you're going through - I hope that you can find a way to make it all work.

I forgot to mention I have a very narrow jaw as well, which makes putting objects in my mouth very difficult. The area mentioned are two bottom molars at the right side.

LittleLynnie: they suggested dentures, but I sort of vetoed it due to the gagging. I did ask about a dental bridge. The other issue is the bruxism, which locks my jaw. It was mentioned I have TMJ and it seems to be worse on the right than on the left side.

I'm hoping that the dentist approves the dental bridge, rather than dentures. I'd prefer implants, but they said I'm not a candidate. In the meantime, I am still getting headaches at the back of my head and along my right jaw.

I forgot to mention to a poster, the one from comfortdentist: I'd normally be on metformin, but I developed rashes, as well as severe GI upset. It's the reason why insulin works the best for me at this point in time, and i have more control over my glucose. I do watch my carbs and portions very closely.

There are more advanced methods to graft bone but I wouldn't consider it in someone without excellent A1c. Generally these are monitored every three months by the way.
In a complex bone graft you are asking a lot of your body so that's the reason for the above.

A1C was last tested about 8 months ago and its due again, but it was 8.3 which is rather elevated. I've been put on insulin and so far blood sugar now has been in the normal ranges. 6.5 mmol/l fasting nowadays for the past four months, and been keeping on diet and exercise, though I have been having issues with hypoglycaemia the past week now.

Dentist has CBCT .. I'll ask him for it .
Co-morbidities.. hmm. I have psoriasis. Not sure if it counts. It just makes things hard if I cut myself and it causes a psoriatic flare.
Not sure if this counts either but I have anxiety disorder caused by ASD (high functioning), they used to call it "Asperger's syndrome".

Implants failed after two years. I do grind my teeth, and can barely take the mouthguard for it due to hyperactive gag reflex. And my jaw is so tight I land up with headaches in the morning and at the back of my head.

I had a gum graft at my front bottom teeth, which took fine. I think they used bone graft in the past but didn't do bone graft this time after they removed the last implant.
I was told the bone loss was too deep to even put a bone graft there... I wish I had the images.
I can give the name of the dentist and that, I live in Toronto.
My problem is I can barely even handle dentistry awake, even hygiene. I've gagged on my toothbrush, and xrays are torture for me awake. Normally they have to lay me flat on my back. :(

Sorry I don't have knowledge on dental issues so I can't make a recommendation for you. I am a fifth year pharmacy student so I can give you some suggestion for your hypoglycemic episodes. Your pharmacist/doctor can adjust your insulin does. Monitoring and documenting your blood glucose 3 times a day can help your healthcare providers to decide how many insulin will you need.

Take care.

Last edited:
Back