• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Any reason not to get an implant instead of a root canal?

T

tess456plum

Hello. I have an upper molar #2 that I am having some pain in and am told today that I need a root canal. My sister had some implants done last year and she is very happy with them, and I have read a lot about them and I think they are a great option. I suggested to my dentist that, rather than have a root canal and crown, that I have the tooth extracted and then get an implant. Cost is really not a problem, though the root canal and crown are about 2000 US, and the implant is about 3500. One of my dentists at the practice seemed okay with this, the other one was strongly suggesting not to get the implant an keep the tooth via root canal. I am a little confused, because I don't understand what is so bad about an implant? I am 43, if that matters. Thank you for your imput.

There is nothing wrong with getting an implant (I'm having multiple) but from what I understand not usually recommended or done for a second molar. My dentist was very against it, too far back to keep clean, waste of money, not critical etc.... were his reasons. I think the philosophy, and it certainly applies to my reconstruction, is to rebuild up to and including the first molars.

I'd do the root canal if it were me.

Hope that helps,
rp

I'd do the root canal and crown and then when that fails 15 years down the line, consider the implant. Gotta keep the nice dentists in business ;)

Back