• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The one reason why you have a fear of the dentist

Thisisme.. just want to say.. I love the Greys anatomy quote, wow it really applies to dentistry ..

I second the fear of the unknown and finding out you need work. That was always a huge reason I feared the dentist as a child.

After avoiding for so long, my fear was embarrassment.

And, now, with a six month appointment looming, it’s back to the first one. ?

Also, I don’t like lack of control... not just in dentistry but in general.
After avoiding for so long, my fear was embarrassment

That’s one of my greats as well after waiting to long to see my current dentist it was at least 9yrs so I was embarrassed and my nerves were through the roof. My dentist is actually pretty good at making me feel at ease though and he knows that I’m always nervous so I know he won’t do any work till I’m ready.

So often when I see a new patient who is very worried about my findings and they tell me up front they are afraid of a horrible disaster in their mouth I first look just with a mirror and no other instruments and more often than not I can allay their worst fears as most people aren't as bad as they think.

Thisisme.. just want to say.. I love the Greys anatomy quote, wow it really applies to dentistry ..

Thanks! I thought about this quote often before making my first appointment. I hope I can continue to block out the fear.

I thought also of the quote from Dr Jack Shephard in LOST on how he let all the fear in for 5. Not sure its that easy for everyone but its an interesting concept and one I actually talked to my previous dentist about.. :)

After 30+ years treating some of the most phobic, difficult anesthesia, and other difficulties I truly think that the single most important attribute to allay fears and give a patient peace is the relationship between a patient and the doctor. I am most uncomfortable treating a patient that I don't understand on an emotional level. This is totally different than most all doctors who focus on the problem that needs treating.

Not so much the fear for me, mostly difficulty trusting them. I have been burned a couple times. When I went to the dental clinic at the local dental school, literally every time I showed up, I would end up needing several fillings... I switched to a private dentist once I got decent insurance, and I would only need one filling every couple years from then on. I honestly have a hard time believing all of those fillings the clinic did were really necessary, I feel like they just used me for a guinea pig to practice on. And the orthodontist I went to as a child installed a device that - as I learned two decades later - was age-inappropriate and would not have worked on me anyway, but that device destroyed my front two teeth, so I had to get crowns at the age of 19 or 20, and now I have to get an implant at 36. I have a hard time trusting dentists after that... and with me moving around for my career, I often have to go to new guys. I am almost tempted to continue going to my current dentist, because I trust him, but I am about to move to another state five hours away!

Not so much the fear for me, mostly difficulty trusting them. I have been burned a couple times. When I went to the dental clinic at the local dental school, literally every time I showed up, I would end up needing several fillings... I switched to a private dentist once I got decent insurance, and I would only need one filling every couple years from then on. I honestly have a hard time believing all of those fillings the clinic did were really necessary, I feel like they just used me for a guinea pig to practice on. And the orthodontist I went to as a child installed a device that - as I learned two decades later - was age-inappropriate and would not have worked on me anyway, but that device destroyed my front two teeth, so I had to get crowns at the age of 19 or 20, and now I have to get an implant at 36. I have a hard time trusting dentists after that... and with me moving around for my career, I often have to go to new guys. I am almost tempted to continue going to my current dentist, because I trust him, but I am about to move to another state five hours away!
Yea I’d say for me part of it is the trusting part. When my molar was slightly loose I ask her what can we do? Her response was eventually I’ll lose it and low and behold a year later an infection took it now I don’t trust, I thought I go to prevent and have a professional help fight to save my teeth. I feel stupid I just blindly accepted her response I love the office personnel and my hygienist they are the best but I feel if I do t find a better dentist I’m doomed ?

I have this lurking idea that the dentist either isn't finding everything that's wrong, or isn't telling me about it. That there is way, way more wrong than anyone could ever fix...

(Do NOT read this bit if you're especially nervous...)

When I'm REALLY anxious, I get this thing where every time I feel the merest little twinge in my mouth, or face, or head generally, I think that the decay in my teeth or the bone loss or whatever has worked its way up through my head, and my skull is going to fall apart, or something.

When I'm not quite so anxious, I just worry about how much needs doing and what it's going to cost.

I have this lurking idea that the dentist either isn't finding everything that's wrong, or isn't telling me about it. That there is way, way more wrong than anyone could ever fix...

(Do NOT read this bit if you're especially nervous...)

When I'm REALLY anxious, I get this thing where every time I feel the merest little twinge in my mouth, or face, or head generally, I think that the decay in my teeth or the bone loss or whatever has worked its way up through my head, and my skull is going to fall apart, or something.

When I'm not quite so anxious, I just worry about how much needs doing and what it's going to cost.
This is me exactly. And right now with all the stress in my life right now my teeth are non stop. when stress is down I don’t have the pain aches twinges but man when it high look out ?

If you could give one reason why you have a fear of the dentist, what would it be?
I have more than one fear but I suspect they all stem from the abuse I encountered from my first one. He was giving me a shot, it hurt, I cried and he slapped my face. I was 8. Recently had a dental procedure which was terrifying (to me) and even though he didn’t slap me, he might as well have since it brought me right back to my 8 year old self in the dentist’s chair. Sigh.

Even though I always go to the dentist, embrassment and smells. also because of covid19 you have to wear a mask in the waiting room, and going into the dental practice.

Back