• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Argh.

Z

Zippy1981

Hello. I've just joined this site and just looking for somewhere to vent as I feel sick with nerves.

I've always had receding gums but about 4 weeks ago I noticed it was getting sore. The 2 front teeths gums are bad...really pulled down..and tartar is present too.

I haven't been to the dentist in 8 years...I just couldn't bear the thought of it. I've also been coping with numerous miscarriages and cancerous cells in my cervix so had enough 'NHS poking around' and I just haven't had the strength to sort this phobia out.

I got in touch with my precious surgery and they said I could be still be a patient and I have an appointment next week.

I'm so scared. Since I made the appointment my mouth is in the most pain it has ever been in, and the front bottom gums are awful. Painful, red, swollen.I have bought gum toothbrush, paste, mouthwash...been rinsing with salt water..taking Ibrufen etc.

I'm so worried of how the dentist will judge me...I do clean my teeth though..it's the lack of visiting the dentist. They look horrible and I'm concerned I'm going to need treatment that is not covered by the NHS that I can't afford, therefore losing my teeth ?

I'm sure I don't need to explain the phobia to you all as that's the thing we all have in common.

Has anyone reassuring stories of advanced gum disease?

I just feel sick all the time.

I have had issues with the gums on my lower two teeth since I was in my teens. I am now 33 and just recently made my first appointment to the dentist since I was 18. I was told when they measured the recession it was 4 and 5. I know that 1-2 is normal, but the gap is so far down that I was so afraid for so long of having someone look in my mouth that I just let it go. I finally went last week, my life had come to a stand still. I had let the state of my mouth become the only thing I thought about every day....it had been exhausting me. Emotionally, physically and mentally. I finally hit a wall.

I can't tell you how nervous I was to have the hygienist have a look. I explained to her, all the while I was shaking with nerves, what she was about to see. And still, I didn't think she would be prepared. When she did look at them, she was so kind and actually made me feel like all of my worry had been for nothing. Don't get me wrong, this is a big issue, overall, and I have a tough road ahead of me that won't be easy. But I can't tell you the relief I felt when she was examining my mouth.

In my case, I have a misaligned jaw and bite. My teeth don't line up properly and because that was never corrected when I had braces in my teenage years, it caused my gums on my lower two teeth to pull down and away from the tooth. I have other recession in my mouth, but nothing as near bad as the bottom lower two teeth. They have hope that they can help me, and that was just what I needed to hear!

I wish you luck in your journey. And remember, the dentist has seen everything and anything you can imagine! The right one will never make you feel bad, but only want to figure out how they can help you best.

Thank you for your post!

Thank you so much for replying.

It's nice to hear from others in the same position. I've just got in from work and have been near tears all night. It is just so sore...I'm also worried that I've left it so long that my teeth are just going to drop out of my mouth. ?

I'm. It sure if all the things I've bought to help, are just irritating it all more.

I want to ring the dentist and see if I can move the appointment forward, but with the bank holiday weekend I don't think I'll be very successful.

I'm glad that you are happy with the outcome from your visit and that you are now on the path to getting things helped.

Back