• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Back to being a nervous wreck..

  • Thread starter Thread starter maube
  • Start date Start date
M

maube

Member
Joined
Jun 22, 2010
Messages
20
Well I was calming down since the plan was to sedate me and fix my teeth in one appointment. WEll after making the appointment with the Oral Surgeon (that took a lot of will power to do) for the consult... I got a call back next day saying they don't accept my referrals. In other words Medicaid.

So now I am back to freaking out and crying, the pain pills the doctor gave me won't last until I go back to them next Tuesday and the pain hasn't abated.

I am really freaking out especially because when I got teeth pulled, sans my wisdom teeth, as a child the dentist didnt sedate me or numb me at all and I can still remember the pain for days after. I also remember my parents telling me to stop being such a baby.

I feel like a baby right now, I gave my kids a treat and then retreated so I could try and get myself under control, I don't like them seeing me cry over something like this but I just cannot help it.

It's going to be worse because without sedation I am going to need to go in multiple times. And I definitely cannot afford the thousands of dollars needed to go the sedation route anyway. That is kinda why my family is on Medicaid to BEGIN with.

I am just at a complete loss and I am a complete mess physically and emotionally at the moment.
 
[smiley=hugging.gif] You're not a baby. You're doing the best you can. I know how it feels to lose composure in front of the kids. We're supposed to protect them and be the grown ups and it's embarrassing when the anxiety makes us feel like scared little kids.

I'm sorry the referral didn't go through. I hope you are able to get some pain relief soon!
 
I feel your pain. Literally as well as figuratively. I seriously doubt there would be as many of us in this position if dental care was recognized as a HEALTH need. Not a cosmetic need. Insurance (including Medicaid) would cover anesthesia for regular surgery...but not dental. It makes no sense to me. It makes me feel so defeated. I KNOW that my teeth wouldn't be as rotten as they are now if it wasn't for the high cost. I totally understand that dentists deserve to be paid well. They need as much medical training as any other doctor...so why can't insurance cover it? My husband is trying to get us on his dental insurance now...but even THAT won't cover much...and I will have to wait an entire YEAR before it will even cover a percentage of what I need to have done. Hang in there. I hope you can get SOMETHING done.
 
It really makes no sense =( anyway after a miserable weekend I managed to get an appointment with the regular dentist for my extraction tomorrow. I'm very scared, but the pain is really bad. I couldn't enjoy the picnic I went to yesterday due to the pain.

and actually the pain is now affecting that whole side of my face. The antibiotics didnt stop the pain and goodness knows Tylenol with Codiene does nothing for me =(

Time to get the heatpack again and just moan in bed. Good thing hubby is off from work today else the kids would make today a lot worse
 
am totally sympathising with you!!!! and have on many occasions felt the pain you are in!!!!! and it sucks big time!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope you will be okay at your appointment

Also can I just say how much I appreciate how having your hubby there to deal with the kids is!!!!!!!!!! I don 't want my daughter to get my bad vibes and terror about dentists but the pain just floors you and without the wonderful help of my husband and tweo sets of grandparents i would be sunk!!! and as for going on outings with toothache it is the worst ever, trying to put on your happy face when you are in pain

You will get there though8-)8-)8-)8-)[smiley=hug.gif][smiley=hug.gif]
 
I am trying... headed to the dentist very soon... terrified but the pain has not abated at all. Of course it doesnt help I cannot keep my tongue from poking the bad tooth ><

Wish me luck - off I go
 
Well I got the extraction done... the dentist wasn't the one who first saw me and this one was wonderful. She was very patient with me, and let me get NO2 to calm me down and get the tooth done. Of course I rushed out of the office as soon as they let me so I forgot to get a script for pain management. Man I really hope it doesnt hurt as bad as it has hurt... I have seriously been taking way more pain killers lately then I am comfortable with.

Luckily the tooth came out quickly and there wasnt a lot of bleeding. Now to just finish my panic attack from the comfort of my own home.
 
Okay so you had a panick attack - many of us have - BUT YOU GOT THE TOOTH OUT

VERY WELL DONE:yay::yay::yay:

You got the worst bit over with and from what |I have read the pain should decrease after getting the painful tooth away!!!!!!!!

and all of us have taken the maximum pain relief for toothache - it really is the h*ll of all pain, and i have given birth!!!!

well done - you should be really proud of your self!!!!
 
Well done Maube, the worst it over :yay: IME having a painful tooth taken out brings nothing but relief, keep doing the salt water rinses and you'll be fine :)
 
I am in agony at the moment and tylenol isnt doing anything =( the whole side of my face with the extraction is hurting. I know it will get better but right now I hurt so badly. Tempted to call the dentist and see if they can fax a script to my pharmacy... I dont know if I will be able to sleep tnight with pain this bad.

Dont get me wrong - this was the right thing to do, but damned if it doesnt still hurt =X
 
well i hear u and u will be fine i went through 32 teeth extraction an no pain after i promise feel fre to send me ??? here if u wish:)
 
The pain is a lot less today - but last night was torture. I told the dentist I just needed something to get through the first night... ahh well. now if only my kids would have slept in this morning so that when I finally did fall asleep I didnt have to get up again in an hour >.<

Now once I heal from this - gotta find an oral surgeon to do the rest of my work ><
 
I am glad to hear that you are a bit better, :grouphug:.
 
Back
Top