• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

back wisdom teeth clash when eating

H

hammyhamster

Hello

A few weeks ago I bit down on something hard and since then my back wisdom teeth on the left top and bottom clash when I am eating. Not all the time but occasionally each time I eat something. My teeth look ok and not chipped or broken. What could be causing this? Could it be a problem with my jaw muscles? How long would it take for it to ease off? I have been rather anxious about it as it is something that has never happened to me before. I have a MAJOR fear of dentists and I am an agoraphobic so that does not help either.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

it is difficult to answer without checking you first. Most likely it has nothing to do with the muscles or the TMJ. I can only speculate that the hard thing your bites on has chipped a bit of one of the teeth off and that has changed how the teeth touch each other (dental articulation). If that is the case, it should be very easy to treat: the dentist can shave a little bit off the wisdom tooth (tenth of the millimeter) and hence reduce the contact between the wisdom teeth. It is very easy treatment, no need for anesthesia, takes about 5 seconds and leads to an immediate relief.

Thank you for your reply Daniel

I would like to clarify that I did not actually bite down hard as more like I bit down awkwardly on something which led me to bite the skin on the back of my jaw just behind the wisdom tooth at the bottom. That formed like a small blood blister which seemed to disappear after a day or so. Since then it has been a little awkward to bite down sometimes (not all of the time). I have been panicking as I suffer from anxiety. This may have made it worse. I can eat and I am in no pain when eating it is just a little annoying sometimes.

Thanks

Back