• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bad smell day 4 after tooth extraction

  • Thread starter Thread starter mpoinar
  • Start date Start date
M

mpoinar

Junior member
Joined
Apr 8, 2017
Messages
2
Hi, I had a lower right molar that had snapped off at the gum line removed last Tuesday. I've had 1/3 rd of my teeth removed and don't remember having this particular problem before. My dentist added a gel foam pack after the extraction.

My salt water rinses have been very very gentle and careful since I didn't want to get a dry socket. The pain on day 3 was quite bad - throbbing - but now on day 5, it's not bad at all. On day 3 I started to notice a very foul odor coming from the area, it got worse on day 4 and today on day 5 I finally looked into the extraction area and saw this white stuff with some black mixed in it and touched it with an cotton swab. It was not hard like I had thought, it was loose and didn't hurt. But that is where the very very foul odor is coming from.

So my questions are:

1. What is it I'm looking at that is soft and white with some black? Is it the gel foam pack? My husband says he's seen it there from day 1.
2. Why is it smelling so badly?
3. And what do I do about it?

Thank you very much, Martha
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 9.37.55 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 9.37.55 AM.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Hi, I had a lower right molar that had snapped off at the gum line removed last Tuesday. I've had 1/3 rd of my teeth removed and don't remember having this particular problem before. My dentist added a gel foam pack after the extraction.

My salt water rinses have been very very gentle and careful since I didn't want to get a dry socket. The pain on day 3 was quite bad - throbbing - but now on day 5, it's not bad at all. On day 3 I started to notice a very foul odor coming from the area, it got worse on day 4 and today on day 5 I finally looked into the extraction area and saw this white stuff with some black mixed in it and touched it with an cotton swab. It was not hard like I had thought, it was loose and didn't hurt. But that is where the very very foul odor is coming from.

So my questions are:

1. What is it I'm looking at that is soft and white with some black? Is it the gel foam pack? My husband says he's seen it there from day 1.
2. Why is it smelling so badly?
3. And what do I do about it?

Thank you very much, Martha

In case anyone else has this problem of a terribly foul odor coming from their extraction site and throbbing, I found something that helped me. Yesterday I put a wet black tea bag on the wound and held it there for 30 minutes. And today I did it again. I don't notice an odor anymore and the throbbing was helped tremendously also. This is day 6 of the tooth pull. :)
 
Back
Top