• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Been awhile..feeling down

S

Scared all the time

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 21, 2019
Messages
299
Location
NJ
I hasn’t been on here in awhile. Last year this time I was in pain from an infection and resulted in losing a upper 2nd molar. I’ve had regular dental visits, healthy teeth brush no sweets etc., my whole life. My one bad horrible habit I have is i smoke, I’ve tried quitting and intend to stop for good by the end of the year, I hate it wished I never started. Anyway I never had issues with my teeth and never gave them a second thought up until the beginning of the year and the extraction. Been to a orthodontist endodontist and periodontitis, of course everyone has their options but they all say my teeth and gums are normal, I look in my mouth and see recession, a couple i some roots starting to show..so what did they see? I’m scared ive taken such good care of my teeth I’m 51 and only one tiny cavity my entire life and that was at 15, periodontist saw I didn’t need a deep clean as my pockets were fine. No one mentioned gum disease but the recession has my anxiety soaring, ? I guess I don’t have a question, just maybe like to hear from anyone in a similar situation and everything turned out ok Thank you for listening.
 
Dear Scared all the time,

it sounds like the loss of your second molar made you start to worry about your teeth a lot. Most people have a grade of recession and there are many reasons why it can occur. One of them is simply getting older (from the age 35 everyone loses a certain amount of bone which can make the teeth look longer the older we get). Recession however doesn‘t mean there is anything wrong and it certainly doesn‘t mean you have periodontal desease. It is pockets and bone loss that provide information about periodontal desease. My feel is that your dentists see it as a normal grade of recession and do not see anything medically wrong.

Well done on deciding to quit smoking and I keep my fingers crossed for you to manage to get through it. I have a huge admiration for the strength of anyone who manages to quit. Never smoked myself but I think resisting the cravings and dealing with the discomfort must be really hard.

All the best wishes, hang on there and we are always here to listen/read
:grouphug:
 
Well off tomorrow for a cleaning, I’ve never been afraid of the dentist..now? terrified. Anxiety issues the past 6 years have me crippled and losing that tooth last year kicked off the dental anxiety. I’m still terrified of the recession and what they will say ( I’ve lost faith in my dentist and still haven’t found a new one) anxiety with something causes the body to experience all sorts of “phantom” issues. I’ve experienced it before with other things and now it’s my teeth. I have decided I can’t keep going through life this way and decided to do something to hopefully help. I’ve scheduled an appointment to talk to a therapist about it and try and get a grip on things. I’ve been under so much stress the past 2 months I wasnt able to quit smoking but tomorrow is quit day and I plan to stick to it. i Don’t want to lose my teeth or worse over something so stupid. Sigh I need normal again I’ve always taken such good care of my teeth, dental visits and cleanings regularly this anxiety is crippling me
 
It's easy to get into a vicious cycle inside your own head. Try to break it by doing something that would be enjoyable and take up your full attention, whatever it is you enjoy. It's probably not as bad as you think! We all see ourselves at our worst, but the outside world doesn't.
 
It's easy to get into a vicious cycle inside your own head. Try to break it by doing something that would be enjoyable and take up your full attention, whatever it is you enjoy. It's probably not as bad as you think! We all see ourselves at our worst, but the outside world doesn't.
Thank you for you reply and understanding. Yes it hard, and we sure do always see the worst in ourselves I know I always have but the teeth throw me for a loop. I always took care of them or so I thought. No sweets sugars always had cleanings brushing etc. smoking the past 20 years is stupid but my only fault I was always on top of taking care of my teeth so I wouldn’t be this scared rabbit I am today. But here I am I feel like my teeth are against me ? 2 years ago I didn’t have a thought in the world about them
 
Well back from my cleaning. I was a wreck, but I explained my concerns all of them, receding shifting losing any teeth all of them. At one point they wanted to do a scaling however not anymore. They told me my number improved from 3 and 4s to mostly 2 a couple 3 and maybe 1 4 that whatever I was doing at home was working. The receding? She said is hasn’t changed since my last visit but now they know my concerns and fears they were going to keep an eye on it each visit. They also again suggested a night guard for clenching since that can contribute to recession. Then they mentioned shifting and the bottom molar possibly erupting from the top molar loss. What? She told me last year they touched and not to worry. She did mention they still touch some. Ugh I’m trying not to worry but why can’t everyone as least be on a similar page? Peri said no braces no need only for cosmetic purposes if I wanted and my gums were in great shape. Ortho said implant for 2nd molar and braces dentist I saw today said last year no need for anything now today She mentions my fears I addressed to her last year? Ugh. Anyway hygienist (who I just love and is extremely thorough) said not much tartar except a bit more on the right side ( I chew there most) but I’m looking good. Back in 4 months they also said something about checking for an off bite? This could cause recession as well I’ll follow up in 4 months.
 
Scared allthe time,

Glad you made it back and through it and they addressed all your concerns , great you have a lovely hygenist it sounds and a very thorough dentist as well. Sounded like a good report for now. Glad they are keeping an eye on things.. and good for you for making it through another appt!! :cheer2: :thumbsup!:
 
Scared allthe time,

Glad you made it back and through it and they addressed all your concerns , great you have a lovely hygenist it sounds and a very thorough dentist as well. Sounded like a good report for now. Glad they are keeping an eye on things.. and good for you for making it through another appt!! :cheer2: :thumbsup!:
Thank you, I’m still struggling with anxiety I know things are good and I’m grateful. I have those black triangles now in front where my gums receded I guess I hate it and it scares me I just want to maintain healthy teeth keep what I have. I never thought in a million years I’d be on a dental fear forum but I am glad I found you guys ?
 
:grouphug: I can say too.. DFC is such a lifesaver.. glad we are all on the journey together and not alone! It really makes a difference .
 
If your dentist is suggesting a nightguard, I say go for it. I really, really wish I got it as soon as mine mentioned it instead of thinking about it for four years. I don't have pressure soreness in my teeth anymore, don't wear out any restoration work nearly as quickly... It made a difference with my tension headaches, too.
 
Back
Top