• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Been refused sedation for root canal filling.. Options?!

P

Pinkie

I have been refused inhalation and IV sedation for a back molar root canal filling. The dentist says the inhalation gas cannot be used because of the rubber dam process, which is fiddly therefore not a viable option. I have been refused IV sedation also, but I don't really understand why.. It's a back molar and apparently patients cannot be IV sedated with this due to the mutiple nerves. What does this leave me with :confused: I already take the recommended diazepam for dental phobia just for regular dental appointments.. Which does not sedate at all. I really need advice, as I had the IV sedation in mind due to my level of nerves and now I'm stuck without any options :unsure:

I don't see what multiple nerves have to do with being unable to do a sedated root canal - unless they mean that several visits may be required (normal for a correctly done molar root canal) and that that might cost you too much too often?
Are you in UK where nitrous oxide is now rare? If USA find an endodontist who offers i/v sedation and take it from there.

I don't see what multiple nerves have to do with being unable to do a sedated root canal - unless they mean that several visits may be required (normal for a correctly done molar root canal) and that that might cost you too much too often?
Are you in UK where nitrous oxide is now rare? If USA find an endodontist who offers i/v sedation and take it from there.

I'm sure he is in the UK because I had to look up fiddly definition.
I personally have NO problem with N2O or IV with molar endo.

I had nitrous for my RC.... not sure what his problem is. Seek out a new endodontist. There's no need for you to be panicky because it causes him a little bit of extra work...........

In the USA I’ve sedation and 1 filling would run a pretty wide range of fees. I would estimate starting at $750 to 1500. Perhaps Mugz can give a quote on cost

Like Comfortdentist said, I think it varies by practice but my last IV sedation cost $800 for the sedation alone and $150-250 per filling with a ”special needs” dentist. I've since seen other dentists that charged $500 for IV sedation but fillings were about the same. I paid about $700 for root canal of bottom back molar. Hope this helps.

Back