• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Blood test before Wisdom Tooth Extraction

R

Riccc

My dentist asked me to get a blood test before my extraction next week. What is the purpose of this? What will they be looking for?

What kind of blood test? Did the lab slip say? Could be anything from a bleeding time to a blood count looking for infection to a chemistry panel? I think that's unusual unless you are ill or on medications?

rp

If the blood test will show CBC, PTT, CT, BT and PT will drugs be detected? Will drugs be seen?

No these tests are to see if your blodd coagulates normally and a count of all bloddcells.
This test does not reveal drug use on its own. Drug use can however lead to abnormal bloodcounts depending on the type of drug used, and that will show up in this test.

If you have a serious habbit I would share this information with the dentist so that he/she can correctly dose your LA.

Back