• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bone shaving - healing time?

C

crysania

To make a long story short, I had a molar extracted back at the end of May. I was left with a hard lump above the extraction site. The oral surgeon said it was part of the bone and should settle. It didn't and it constantly hurt. So on 8/14, I went in and he opened up the gum and shaved back the bone. Now instead of a lump there, I have a little valley.

And it STILL hurts.

A few days after the procedure it seemed to get better and I thought that FINALLY I was pain-free. But then the pain came roaring back. It's a little better today after a weekend of resting my mouth. But it STILL hurts.

I'm just terrified here and I can find NO information. Is this normal? The surgeon said "We did a lot of work so I would expect pain for a couple weeks." But it's been 2 1/2 weeks and I still have pain, especially if I tighten my lips up at all. How long should I expect pain? Did he do TOO much work and took away too much of the bone? I've never even heard of this procedure before and have no idea if my expectations of feeling better after a couple weeks are off or if there's something really wrong.

Different people heal at different rates, I'd give it another few days and if it's still as bad contact either your own dentist or the surgeon. I can't see how the amount of bone removed will make much difference to the after pain.

Different people heal at different rates, I'd give it another few days and if it's still as bad contact either your own dentist or the surgeon. I can't see how the amount of bone removed will make much difference to the after pain.

Thanks. I've contacted the oral surgeon and am going in shortly to have him look at it. I guess we'll see what he has to say. I'm not feeling very confident at this point. Everything people to do to fix my pain doesn't seem to work.

Thanks. I've contacted the oral surgeon and am going in shortly to have him look at it. I guess we'll see what he has to say. I'm not feeling very confident at this point. Everything people to do to fix my pain doesn't seem to work.

So the surgeon thinks this is normal. So I guess I just live with it in the hopes in the next couple months it goes away.

crysania,
I wanted to ask you about your bone shaving procedure. Did you improve? I'm facing kind of the same thing. thanks

Back