• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Bony lump following mouth burn

K

Katesueb

Hi, I'm new to the forum and wondered if I could get some advice as I'm scared of what my dentist might do if I go.

A few years ago I had a wisdom tooth removed at the dentist bit it broke and the roots were left. I had the roots removed at the hospital some months later.

3 weeks ago I burned my mouth at the back eating some fish. The burn was really bad and it was all blistered and sore. I was left with a sore spot and what felt like a hard lump. I've been worried about the sore and not told anyone however this morning I had a proper look at it myself and it's actally bone or tooth at the side of my gum. The soreness I can now only describe as the same kind when a tooth is coming through. I'm presuming that this could actually be the tip of a retained root from the wisdom tooth.it's is definitely bone/tooth as I've scratched at it with my fingernail. I don't know if I should see about getting this removed or use bonjella and mouthwash to try and heal it.....or will it work it's way out on its own?

Does this sound like a serious problem or is it quite common. I really don't want to end up having my gum cut open.

Thank you in advance.

Hi :welcome:to the forum.

It is probably a bit of bone working its way out. I had a piece of bone work its way out from my wisdom removals a few years after the operation was done. It felt hard like a piece of tooth, it was very sore but eventually it came out on its own.

I think for you to be sure a visit to the dentist would put your mind at rest. Even if it is a bit of tooth that was left in there it would also work its way out too. I doubt they would have to cut your gum to remove whatever it is but it is possible.

These things usually work themselves out, you could help it by getting a face cloth and rubbing it this will encourage it to come through. I don't know why but when people get bits of bone coming through after extractions this has been suggested. I think it is a gentle way of rubbing the gums without making them sore by scratching with fingernails.

I hope this helps you :butterfly:

Many Thanks for your reply,

I visited the dentist yesterday and it was indeed some retained root. I was put on the spot really as she just suggested she remove it there and then. It wasn't pleasant but the ulcerated area now seems a little better so I'm glad I've had it removed. Now I just have to hope my mouth heals.

Back