• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Broken and Chipped Teeth and Fear of Dentist

  • Thread starter Thread starter mikep72
  • Start date Start date
M

mikep72

Junior member
Joined
Jul 6, 2013
Messages
2
Hi

I have not been to the dentist for 5 years now and i have at least 2 teeth that need treatment. One tooth cracked last week. The problem is that my previous vists to the dentist i have had teeth removed and no option of repairing a tooth. Also i always feel the extraction and get the impression the dentist feels i am a nuisance because i am anxious. The last time i had an extraction, my wife came in with me and a gripped her hand as the extraction took place, this has put her off visiting the dentist as well. I have never been offered any sedation at any point either, is this an option?. I have been having nightmares about the dentist also, waking up with cold sweats and i am constantly worrying about getting toothache. Anyone got any good advice or similar woes?:shame::shame::shame::shame:
 
I was in the same state as you are just over a year ago, I got so worked up about seeing the dentist even just for a check up.

The cure I found was to find a sympathetic dentist that made me feel in charge and took their time with me. I would change dentists and find someone that is patient and understands that we are nervous and phobic. I had a tooth out and two rct's all with no pain, even the injections were pain free. Have a look on the Links tab at the top of this page and see if there is a dentist on the find a dentist section. The dentists on there have all been tried and tested by the members on here so are very good.

You can also ask around friends and family to see what their dentists are like, there is also the nhs website that have dentists. If you do go and see one explain how you feel and what you are most afraid of, if they listen and you feel that you could gain confidence to work with them then go ahead and you probably will still feel nervous but the more you see them and get a trusting relationship with them you will not feel as bad about going to see them.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: let us know how you get on. By the way they don't have to say they treat nervous patients my dentists that I see now doesn't but they are really good.

You could also enquire about sedation and see what is available, you can also take oral tablets to help with your nerves that sometimes you dentist can prescribe or that you can ask your doctor for if you explain what they are for. I don't know if you are in the uk I am and the nhs website is for people in the UK.
 
I was in the same state as you are just over a year ago, I got so worked up about seeing the dentist even just for a check up.

The cure I found was to find a sympathetic dentist that made me feel in charge and took their time with me. I would change dentists and find someone that is patient and understands that we are nervous and phobic. I had a tooth out and two rct's all with no pain, even the injections were pain free. Have a look on the Links tab at the top of this page and see if there is a dentist on the find a dentist section. The dentists on there have all been tried and tested by the members on here so are very good.

You can also ask around friends and family to see what their dentists are like, there is also the nhs website that have dentists. If you do go and see one explain how you feel and what you are most afraid of, if they listen and you feel that you could gain confidence to work with them then go ahead and you probably will still feel nervous but the more you see them and get a trusting relationship with them you will not feel as bad about going to see them.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover: let us know how you get on. By the way they don't have to say they treat nervous patients my dentists that I see now doesn't but they are really good.

You could also enquire about sedation and see what is available, you can also take oral tablets to help with your nerves that sometimes you dentist can prescribe or that you can ask your doctor for if you explain what they are for. I don't know if you are in the uk I am and the nhs website is for people in the UK.


Hi Carole

Thanks for the advice.
I am in the UK and i have just e-mailed my local Dentist to ask about sedation and an understanding Dentist, i am just waiting for a reply. I have some diazapam on standby for when i have the
courage to make an appointment. Can they do anything with a broken tooth apart from extract it?
 
Oh yes they can. But it depends on the condition of the tooth, it is best to let them have a look and discuss with them what their advice is and what you would like to do.

You are in charge of your treatment you have to give informed consent for them to do anything. I would advise you to listen to what they have to say, and then come up with a plan of action. They may be able to build up the tooth, or crown it. There are options, but as I am not a dentist and even if I was, the tooth needs to be seen and possibly x rayed to be able to give you options.

I hope you get a reply soon and that you get a solution for your tooth. It may be that the tooth cannot be saved but until they see you they cannot tell.

You could also try a local hospital dental dept, I have been having a rct re treated at a dental school at hospital and they have been lovely, everything has been about my comfort and not being in any pain through out.

Explain to your dentist when you hear back or even e mail it how nervous you are. Even if they say it needs removing ask if there would be any options if you went private, that way if it is just that any treatment cannot be done on the nhs by them then you can either choose to see a private dentist for treatment or ask to be referred to the dental hospital, which will not cost you, they can do this. I am an nhs patient and my dentist couldn't do the re treatment herself so she referred me to a specialist at the hospital.

Don't worry if the dentist you have emailed makes you feel uncomfortable, don't go back find another until you are happy. They don't usually do any treatment on the first visit, unless you are in a lot of pain. The first visit is just for a chat and for them to have a look with just a mirror if you wish, and if you could maybe an x ray.

Good luck :clover::clover::clover:
 
Back
Top