• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Broken molar extraction

S

Sara13697

Hey. I need advice from a dentist or a patient who has had a tooth extraction on a first bottom permanent molar. I’m 16 and due to extreme anxiety of dentists, I avoided going to a dentist to get a cavity filled on my first permanent bottom molar. It ended up getting worse, breaking off at the gum line and now only the sides of the tooth remain. It’s quite badly decayed, grey and blackish. It’s located on my right side. After 8 years of not visiting a dentist, I finally had enough of suffering. The molar was obviously unable to be saved and I have to loose that molar at such a young age. I’m very very nervous for the extraction. I think I have only had one extraction before when I was younger but that was on a milk tooth and I had to be put under sedation for that. I’ve had a fear since I was very young and I started avoiding after I turned 9ish.

I really need as much advice as possible. I’m trying not to let me anxiety take over but I am absolutely petrified for tomorrow and I have had an anxiety attack a couple of times even thinking about the extraction.

I have a few questions. Please be honest about them but first look at the picture I will attach below. The molar on the right looks similar to the one I am getting extracted.
I will not be under sedation (I will be getting numbed by a jab)

1) How long will the extraction approximately take?

2) Will I feel any pain during? How does pressure feel like?

3) How will they extract the tooth since most of the structure has gone?

I’m not scared about feeling any pain after the procedure. I’m only scared about pain that I will feel during, and that the gums won’t close and the dentist will accidentally break off one of my other teeth (I have gum disease)

The molar on the right looks very similar to mine.

Attachments

• F8A7F532-59C1-4614-B954-1CEED0877E43.jpeg
    F8A7F532-59C1-4614-B954-1CEED0877E43.jpeg
    11.8 KB · Views: 30
Hi! I didn’t have a broken molar extracted, but I did recently have a very infected root canaled tooth pulled, so I’ll tell you how my experience was.

I was only in there an hour. I had bridge prep, so that’s why it took so long. It literally took about five minutes for the tooth to be pulled. I felt nothing! They told me the noises would be bad too — heard nothing either. It wasn’t bad at all. I don’t know much about how they’ll remove a broken tooth, except they were prepared for mine to break during the extraction, so I imagine it’s nothing much different.

I’m still going through some dental issues myself and my anxiety is sky-rocketing every day, but with the last few things I’ve done I’ve realized the waiting is the worst part!

Hey. I need advice from a dentist or a patient who has had a tooth extraction on a first bottom permanent molar. I’m 16 and due to extreme anxiety of dentists, I avoided going to a dentist to get a cavity filled on my first permanent bottom molar. It ended up getting worse, breaking off at the gum line and now only the sides of the tooth remain. It’s quite badly decayed, grey and blackish. It’s located on my right side. After 8 years of not visiting a dentist, I finally had enough of suffering. The molar was obviously unable to be saved and I have to loose that molar at such a young age. I’m very very nervous for the extraction. I think I have only had one extraction before when I was younger but that was on a milk tooth and I had to be put under sedation for that. I’ve had a fear since I was very young and I started avoiding after I turned 9ish.

I really need as much advice as possible. I’m trying not to let me anxiety take over but I am absolutely petrified for tomorrow and I have had an anxiety attack a couple of times even thinking about the extraction.

I have a few questions. Please be honest about them but first look at the picture I will attach below. The molar on the right looks similar to the one I am getting extracted.
I will not be under sedation (I will be getting numbed by a jab)

1) How long will the extraction approximately take?

2) Will I feel any pain during? How does pressure feel like?

3) How will they extract the tooth since most of the structure has gone?

I’m not scared about feeling any pain after the procedure. I’m only scared about pain that I will feel during, and that the gums won’t close and the dentist will accidentally break off one of my other teeth (I have gum disease)

The molar on the right looks very similar to mine.

I'm so sorry you've been feeling so anxious and I truly understand those feelings. I think you need to feel very proud of yourself for scheduling this extraction even when you're feeling so nervous.
To answer your questions from my experiences;
I've had a few teeth out in my life and it's honestly been the easiest thing ever. I've never heard any noises or felt particular pressure of any kind and it's taken no more than a minute to get the tooth extracted.
I'm sure your dentist is very used to taking teeth out no matter what their condition and most likely will not be fazed by your tooth at all. He will make sure that you are numb before going ahead and if he needs to pop a stitch in there, usually they're dissolvable.
Make sure you discuss any concerns with your dentist to ease your anxiety and try not to worry too much, the thought of it was way, way worse than the reality, for me anyway.
Let us know how it goes!?

Hi! I didn’t have a broken molar extracted, but I did recently have a very infected root canaled tooth pulled, so I’ll tell you how my experience was.

I was only in there an hour. I had bridge prep, so that’s why it took so long. It literally took about five minutes for the tooth to be pulled. I felt nothing! They told me the noises would be bad too — heard nothing either. It wasn’t bad at all. I don’t know much about how they’ll remove a broken tooth, except they were prepared for mine to break during the extraction, so I imagine it’s nothing much different.

I’m still going through some dental issues myself and my anxiety is sky-rocketing every day, but with the last few things I’ve done I’ve realized the waiting is the worst part!
Well done! I have a tooth that needs a RC now and I'm worried about it and it really is the worst part. I hope you feel more confident now and less anxious as you've had a successful appointment ?

Based on what the dentists here on this forum have said in the past, removing broken teeth or roots is much easier than removing the whole tooth. Can't speak to having a broken tooth removed personally but I just had a whole molar surgically removed last week. The whole process took 20-25 minutes, including the time to get numb. In your case it may go quicker than that since there is less to remove. I was very numb, no sedation. There was no pain during the removal and very little after. The surgeon was talking me through and advising when I might feel pressure but I really didn't notice much if any.

Suggest you look below for more information.
This guide might also be helpful

I’m a dentist and have also had a lower permanent molar extracted. It is a strange feeling as you feel pressure and movement but absolutely no pain, if there is any hint of pain as long as you let the dentist know straight away they can numb you more :)

Thank you so much. I’ll let you guys know how everything goes. Feeling nervous ?

Hey guys,

I knew I would be scared for nothing. The only pain I felt was when they gave me local anaesthetic. It felt like a pinch. It wasn’t unbearable. Unfortunately, the whole tooth couldn’t be extracted and I have been referred elsewhere. It makes me sad because I really wanted the appointment to be over and done but I guess the total opposite happened. I feel like the cleaning hurt more than the (failed) extraction :ROFLMAO:

Firstly, so glad you weren't too nervous at your appointment and that you didn't feeling any pain! ?
So do you know where you will be referred to and did the dentist say how long you will be likely to wait?
I know things didn't go exactly as planned but now you have another plan and it will fine in the end I'm sure! Try not to be too disappointed?

Why weren’t they able to do it?

They were only able to get most the crown part off and not the root sadly. I’m feeling more nervous about that

It’s best they send you to someone who can get it out properly. They usually use a level to rock back and forth and it kinda slides out so I’m surprised they pulled it by crown of tooth. I have to go get an extraction Saturday with basically noo crown left so I’m hoping it goes well and he can do it. I’m terrified and have been making myself sick

They were only able to get most the crown part off and not the root sadly. I’m feeling more nervous about that

From what I've read here from dentists, they say it's easier to extract the tooth without the crown, so I don't think you should be worried about that.

It’s best they send you to someone who can get it out properly. They usually use a level to rock back and forth and it kinda slides out so I’m surprised they pulled it by crown of tooth. I have to go get an extraction Saturday with basically noo crown left so I’m hoping it goes well and he can do it. I’m terrified and have been making myself sick

The same applies to your tooth Tracey, it's actually easier to extract without the crown from what I understand after reading dentist's responses on the forum to lots of the same concerns from people.

The same applies to your tooth Tracey, it's actually easier to extract without the crown from what I understand after reading dentist's responses on the forum to lots of the same concerns from people.
Thank you!

Back