• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Broken wisdom tooth

T

TrickyJ

Have a lower left wisdom tooth with an abscess and the tooth has been cracking off and is completely rotten black now and 95% of the remaining tooth above the gum is out now on it's own after a few days of grinding and now it won't stop bleeding and there is clumps of blood on the tissue I am using and the bleeding isn't stopping. Should I worry too much? I am not going to visit the dentist unless absolutely essential and I have like one day to live due to various posts previously about my fears.

I don't understand what you're asking? Can you rephrase it a bit?

I don't understand what you're asking? Can you rephrase it a bit?

So my lower left wisdom tooth has an abscess and fragments of the wisdom tooth have been breaking off over the past few months and another big piece detached last night, leaving a completely rotten black crater containing a few toith fragments embedded in the gum and so 95% of the remaining tooth above the gum has cracked off over time leaving what looks like just the root left remaining below the gumline after a few days of grinding my teeth due to the pain, and also the fact the tooth was loose from the gum due to gum disease. It bled for a while with what looked like clotted blood on the tissue i used to try and stem the blood from the fragment of that wisdom tooth so my question is - should I worry too much? I am not going to visit the dentist unless absolutely essential due to various fears I have of the dentist and as an absolute last resort.

So what's your point? I can't tell you what your "last resort" will be, I don't know how bad things need to get before you decide you need to do something about it... so what do you want to know exactly?

So what's your point? I can't tell you what your "last resort" will be, I don't know how bad things need to get before you decide you need to do something about it... so what do you want to know exactly?

All I am asking is should I worry at the moment as the root is still in the gum with both very tender and bleeding a lot especially when I brush? I know there is an abscess there and gum disease. I do hope the next reply is more helpful and less patronising as I am asking for advice as a very nervous patient who won't go for dental treatment due to crippling anxiety.

Sorry to read you had found Gordon's answer patronizing and that is certainly not what we do here on the forum. :( On the contrary - we are here to help people find the way to conquer their fears and Gordon had spent his whole life treating people with special needs, among that also people who are pretty at where you are now.

Your situation is a very difficult one and I am afraid almost afraid to write it out of fear to make you upset, but the only answer probably is that the root needs to come out. It is a source of bacteria in your mouth, makes your body constantly fighting the infection and can lead to complications such as you waking up with swollen face or heavy pain one day. So maybe the question shouldn't be whether you should worry or not, but more whether there is any way you could get the needed treatment and deal with your anxiety while you are not in unbearable pain. I know your other post looked like you are looking for solutions while this post sounds more like "no way I am going to the dentist". May I ask you where are you at right now?

Again, really do not want to offend you or something, on the contrary, really wish you would find a way to solve the anxiety.

I understand your point I am at not in particular pain and my teeth are rotting all over and I now am at the stage I cannot even bear calling the dentist and I know there is that possibility that one day my anxiety could kill me because of the fear of not going to get things checked out as I even struggle to get blood tests at the doctors too. My dentist has been wonderful and very patient but also honest about how my oral health is and has given me options too but due to my anxiety I also cannot travel on transport so I am limited in what can be done. It is very frustrating on both sides and I've tried IV sedation but I almost ripped the needle out my arm as I got myself upset right before the solution was injected due to a panic attack and that sedation dentist refused to treat me afterwards. I wish this wasn't the case but it is what it is and there is 2 teeth in front of the wisdom tooth that are just black stumps now. I fully accept my anxiety is a real problem but the sad and honest fact is there isn't many solutions.

I apologise if you found my post patronising, I was simply trying to work out what you wanted to know in order to answer your question as best as I could.

I'll now drop out of this thread permanently so as not to cause you any further distress.

Back