• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can crowns really look natural?

C

champ

My back teeth are almost all crowned due to bad habits in my youth. I have a front (eye) tooth with a sizeable filling that I've been panicky about breaking for years and years because I hate the way my crowns look and the thought of having one in front freaks me out. The ones I have are very, very old PFMs that definitely don't resemble teeth at all. Do the newer crowns - the all porcelain ones - really look natural like dentists say on their websites?

In my opinion it depends on how skilled the dentist and technician are. I have 2 bridges on my front teeth, and even though it’s a temporary one, it’s made by a very good dentist and it’s more beautiful then my own teeth.
Before this bridge I had two other bridges made by another dentist, and they looked awful. My advice; search for a good dentist who has a lot of experience with crowns and bridges.

They can! I lost my front tooth last year, due to an abscess from a childhood injury. It is definitely trickier and I had to have my crown redone once because the first time it didn’t match my other front tooth. The second time they matched the color perfectly and the tooth looks very natural. My teeth were crooked before and the crown is a bit crooked to fit in the space like my natural tooth. It is forward a little like my natural tooth was. The crown is my upper right front tooth.B6FF634A-4DB1-4F9D-9B69-E8F25F9CCB19.jpeg

I have good a crown on one of my molar teeth should have been crowned when I had a root canal done years, the tooth slightly cracked last year during covid19, my dentist asked me how I did it, no idea

Yes, they can if you find someone good to do it, like DaphneM mentioned. I know few people who have a crown on their front teeth and I only figured out after years of knowing them, because they told me. Would never ever have guessed that it was crowns. It also may be a question of money. In my experience for back teeth it‘s ok to go for a crown that doesn‘t look too natural, because nobody will notice anyway. A front tooth is worthy of putting in some amount of effort to find the best material.

Back