• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can someone please tell me if this is normal?

S

SummerSunshine

I had a tooth extraction on Monday, so exactly a week tomorrow, and occasionally, the tooth next to it hurts a little with pressure, and I'm kinda freaking it out, and wondering if it's normal?

The tooth I had extracted was infected and she took care of it after the tooth was extracted. I had been on antibiotics a week before so, which didn't completely get rid of it, so there was pain with the extraction.

I'm just hoping that the ache with pressure goes away as the socket next to it completely closes over and heals. I haven't chewed anything on that side since the extraction and this particular tooth didn't hurt before the extraction and nor was there an infection in that tooth on the x ray I had at the beginning of the month. I'm just hoping this is normal and will go away.

Summersunshine,

I'm so sorry you are still having these pain and issues :(... that is really hard and frustrating. Do you have another appt for them to take a look.. ? or maybe another surgeon for 2nd opinon if you can't get in for first. ? personally I would want to just reassure myself

Nope! That appointment almost cleaned me out. I'm almost positive this tooth isn't infected. It's not a constant ache like that infected tooth was. In fact, all the pain that I had, is gone now because the tooth is gone. It'll be a week tomorrow since it's been removed, and I'm hoping it's just from the trauma is why the tooth sometimes ache when I bite down. It's not all the time.

The gum in front of the extracted tooth is still a bit white, and also the gum of this other tooth, and I know that takes time to return to its normal color.

There was nothing wrong with this tooth beforehand.

When I had a tooth extracted, the teeth next to it hurt for several weeks. The oral surgeon said it was normal and even had a paragraph about it in the aftercare pamphlet he sent home with me. Mine would ache and be sensitive to pressure and cold. It gradually faded. I was told it was extremely rare for a tooth infection to affect nearby teeth.

When I had a tooth extracted, the teeth next to it hurt for several weeks. The oral surgeon said it was normal and even had a paragraph about it in the aftercare pamphlet he sent home with me. Mine would ache and be sensitive to pressure and cold. It gradually faded. I was told it was extremely rare for a tooth infection to affect nearby teeth.

That is kind of a relief! My post op instructions that I got from the dentist didn't say anything about that. And it's been I think five years since I've had a molar removed, so I didn't remember if the other teeth beside that one that hurt or not.

It's like it happens sometimes when I bite now, but when I put my finger on it and press a little, it doesn't, like it comes and goes. I haven't eaten on that side, since I'm waiting until the close completely heals over before I attempt that.

Tenderness on adjacent teeth is very common, it's not an issue.

We should add it to the post extraction advice FAQ.

So... how long does soreness in adjacent teeth last? It's been 9 days since my tooth extraction and the tooth next to the empty socket has been sore since Saturday. My gums are still a tad bit white in front of both, but I think it's starting to pink up a little.

I can't tell, but I think the wisdom tooth two doors down is sore too, but I'm hoping not, I really can't afford to have any one of them two teeth acting up right now. I'm going to end up making myself paranoid about infection with them. Because that would be just my luck.

I have a very small bump now on the gum in front of the empty socket now too. :faint: The area doesn't hurt or anything, it's just very tender.

Edit: The gum in front of the extraction site is just basically still very tender.

Last edited:
Summersunshine,

I"m so sorry you are going through continued pain with this on the tooth next to it. agh.. :(. I wish you could go to a second opinion just to give yourself some peace of mind about what is going on. I know its hard now especially though and financially not always feasible ... Really praying a miracle this takes a better turn for you soon! :grouphug:

Summersunshine,

I"m so sorry you are going through continued pain with this on the tooth next to it. agh.. :(. I wish you could go to a second opinion just to give yourself some peace of mind about what is going on. I know its hard now especially though and financially not always feasible ... Really praying a miracle this takes a better turn for you soon! :grouphug:

Thankfully, it's not that throbbing pain! It's only kinda sore when I bite down, and only sometimes, but at least I'm not eating on that side, since the hole hasn't fully closed up.

So... how long does soreness in adjacent teeth last? It's been 9 days since my tooth extraction and the tooth next to the empty socket has been sore since Saturday. My gums are still a tad bit white in front of both, but I think it's starting to pink up a little.

It can easily take a couple of weeks. So long as it's improving I wouldn't worry about it. Odd lumps and bumps appearing round the socket are pretty normal too.

For one of my extractions, it was a month before the adjacent teeth stopped hurting. It faded gradually, where it was constant, then off and on, then finally stopped.

Thanks y'all! It's been about 5 or 6 years since I had a molar extracted, and I basically forgot everything.

The most recent teeth I had pulled was about 3 years ago, but they were premolar, baby teeth, so those healed a lot faster. (Coming to think of it, I'm missing all of my second premolars :unsure:)

Back