• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Can wisdom tooth replace molar w/ root canal?

T

toraflora

I believe my root canal is going bad, and my wisdom teeth happen to be growing out as well (it has barely pierced the surface of my gum but not too visibly). I was wondering if it was possible to pull out the root canal 2nd (back, bottom) molar and have the wisdom tooth come into its place without issues? My dentist said my wisdom teeth are also growing at an angle and is pushing against my 2nd molars.

But since the root canal is going bad/infected, would pulling it out and then having the wisdom tooth replace its spot make the wisdom tooth infected later, or would this cause any bite issues? Is this feasible, and how quickly should I get this done since my wisdom teeth seem to almost be emerging from the gum already?

I’m feeling a little bit of discomfort in the gum area where the wisdom teeth are coming out right now + they’re crowding. My appointment is schedule in one week, so I’m also unsure if the wisdom tooth will grow enough to become a problem by then.

Thanks!

Hi,

Theoretically speaking that might be possible but I doubt whether a dentist will be willing to do that. First of all you are talking about moving a wisdom tooth a great distance and that’s very challenging.
But more importantly: in order to move a tooth a dentist has to attach a bracket to the tooth and in order to that the working area while fleeing this bracket has to be very dry. When dealing with impacted wisdom teeth I doubt whether any dentist can reach that control on the operating field. If it was more to the front , for example an impacted canine, a team of skillful oral surgeon and orthodontist should be able to do that, but with impacted wisdom teeth I think it is not feasible.

@Dr. Daniel Thank you for your response and for the info! I was wondering if the space was left open after pulling out the 2nd molar with the root canal if the impacted tooth would have more room to move into and perhaps straighten? However, could there also be a possibility that the wisdom tooth grows into the 2nd molar's spot and still be impacted? I just would really like to get rid of the root canal tooth without having to have an implant and it seems like having the wisdom tooth replace it would be the best option. But if opting for that option (if feasible) would increase the chance of infection in the future, then I would probably consider something else.
Thanks!

@Dr. Daniel Thank you for your response and for the info! I was wondering if the space was left open after pulling out the 2nd molar with the root canal if the impacted tooth would have more room to move into and perhaps straighten? However, could there also be a possibility that the wisdom tooth grows into the 2nd molar's spot and still be impacted? I just would really like to get rid of the root canal tooth without having to have an implant and it seems like having the wisdom tooth replace it would be the best option. But if opting for that option (if feasible) would increase the chance of infection in the future, then I would probably consider something else.
Thanks!
May I ask: how old are you?

The chances of success are pretty low, but it might be worth taking out the second molar and waiting a bit to see if the wisdom tooth moves into the space. It might at least erupt enough to get an orthodontic band on it. Would have a better idea if we could see an x-ray of the area.

The chances of success are pretty low, but it might be worth taking out the second molar and waiting a bit to see if the wisdom tooth moves into the space. It might at least erupt enough to get an orthodontic band on it. Would have a better idea if we could see an x-ray
well, that’s a young age so you have better chances for an ortho treatment.
You should certainly have an orthodontic consult and if the dilemma will probebly be whether to put an implant or to bring the back molars forward.
I am willing to put my money that an orthodontic treatment is very tricky because the distance it requires is very long and will be very challenging to bring the molar in a good angle and position. Most probebly an implant would be chipper, easier and more predictable.

Back