You should be able to start with a general dentist. He or she can work with you to identify a treatment plan and refer you to specialists if you need them.
I will say that in some cases, teeth which you think are beyond repair can still be saved. I have two back molars that are also worn to the gumline, but my dentist says she can still save them. (In brief, they insert a metal post into the remaining tooth, build up with some composite material, and put a crown on.) The only way to tell for certain is to get some x-rays and have a dentist check them out. This might not be your case, but don't assume that just because the tooth looks terrible that it's beyond repair. I avoided the dentist for a long time because of a tooth in this condition, and now find out it's not uncommon nor is it irreparable.
As for extraction, I just had a molar extracted last week, and it too was worn down to the gumline. I was certain that without any material to "grip onto," extraction would involve some kind of surgery or horrible process. It turns out that that's NOT how extraction works. Extraction is more of a
pushing than a pulling process, and it's very gentle. The dentist uses a couple of tools to push the tooth this way and that, to loosen the ligaments between the tooth and gum. You're completely numbed up for this, of course. After a few pushes the tooth just comes out on its own. Even if the tooth is worn below the gumline, they can still reach in and push it around to loosen it up.
My extraction took about 10 minutes and I never felt any pain, seriously. I never even felt the tooth come out. Other people told me this but I didn't believe them. It was a little uncomfortable having someone push on my tooth fairly hard, but it didn't hurt and there was no pulling or tugging.
Aftercare involved biting down on a piece of gauze and changing it out every 15 minutes for an hour or so, which was kind of yucky but not terrible and still no pain. I took some advil just in case. For the first 24 hours you have to be very careful not to disturb the blood clot from forming, so no smoking, drinking with a straw, spitting, or hard foods. I ate pudding and applesauce for about two days just to be cautious but I was back to work the next day and never experienced any pain other than the area being a little sore the first day or so, which didn't matter because I wasn't biting down anyway. A few days later I'm still a little cautious about eating "sharp" foods like chips but other than that there's been no pain or disruption to my life.
Not sure how this applies to multiple extractions but again don't assume that everything needs to come out until you've had them examined. I'll also add that I thought my teeth were completely awful but my compassionate dentist wasn't the least bit surprised or shocked, and treated me like a human being. Hopefully reading some of the stories here can help give you some confidence that you're not alone in your situation.
Good luck and congratulations for reaching out. It takes a lot of courage even to start talking about it, so give yourself a pat on the back.
![Jumping [smiley=jumping.gif] [smiley=jumping.gif]](/forum/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/dfcsmilies/jumping.gif)
![Jumping [smiley=jumping.gif] [smiley=jumping.gif]](/forum/styles/default/xenforo/smilies/dfcsmilies/jumping.gif)