• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Canker sore or ulcer???

X

xfilesjunkie

Tooth doesn’t hurt and recently had a dental clean, but this has been around my tooth for a month now.

Would you say it’s a canker sore / ulcer?
Very painful some days. I’ve attached a photo, some days it looks different in shape but is generally this odd horseshoe shape! Wish it would go !!

Attachments

• 6EDD04E7-AEF0-430A-BDFE-F93BA19515E5.jpeg
    6EDD04E7-AEF0-430A-BDFE-F93BA19515E5.jpeg
    975 KB · Views: 32
I’m really worried what it might be. Dentist today told me the tooth is fine and like I say no tooth pain but it causes a very sore feeling in my mouth. Do you think canker / ulcer anybody??? Dentist seems to think it will heal but it’s been like nearly a month can cankers last this long?

What did the dentist think it was? It's impossible to tell from that photo I'm afraid.
Canker sore is an American word for an ulcer btw.

What did the dentist think it was? It's impossible to tell from that photo I'm afraid.
Canker sore is an American word for an ulcer btw.
He said you don’t get ulcers there but clearly there is something :( Please click the photo and zoom on the back tooth. You’ll see a horse shoe type white patch on the gum, what I would call a canker. It’s more obvious in photos with flash than looking in the mouth.

I'm sorry, I can see something but I can't really tell what it might be. Your dentist was talking rot, you can get ulcers anywhere.

I thought as much!! I’m pretty sure it must be an ulcer. Given it’s appearance and fact it hurts. Maybe somebody else here could help....

It will be a month next week still bloody hurts !!! Current appearance

Attachments

• 6E47EF04-18FD-400A-89AB-2318C6C71E2A.png
    6E47EF04-18FD-400A-89AB-2318C6C71E2A.png
    597.2 KB · Views: 16
I have had some pretty bad ones that have lasted 2 or 3 weeks before, and were huge! Are you rinsing with salt water? That always helped me. I would get it checked out if it hasn't changed at all. Mine usually start getting smaller within a week or two, then can take another week to go away.

I have had some pretty bad ones that have lasted 2 or 3 weeks before, and were huge! Are you rinsing with salt water? That always helped me. I would get it checked out if it hasn't changed at all. Mine usually start getting smaller within a week or two, then can take another week to go away.

Ya just really stubborn - in looking at the photo would you say it’s a canker / ulcer? I’ve attached another photo of current status - it seems to go through different phases where it looks bigger then smaller then bigger. (Tooth doesn’t hurt btw) but it’s giving me a horrible pressure / ache type pain.

Attachments

• BCEEBB1E-006E-43EC-AE31-4CC7F728B01A.png
    BCEEBB1E-006E-43EC-AE31-4CC7F728B01A.png
    597.2 KB · Views: 13
Ya just really stubborn - in looking at the photo would you say it’s a canker / ulcer? I’ve attached another photo of current status - it seems to go through different phases where it looks bigger then smaller then bigger. (Tooth doesn’t hurt btw) but it’s giving me a horrible pressure / ache type pain.

I wouldn't be qualified to speculate on yours. I have had some that were on the gums, right around my teeth, but usually after a procedure. I have also had them covering my soft palate and tonsils, where it looked like strep, but it wasn't.

If it's been there a month it really needs investigated by a dentist...

Back