• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Caring for gums after multiple extractions

E

erming

I had all the teeth removed on the upper left quadrant of my mouth three weeks ago. I had dissolving stitches that I don't think have fully dissolved yet as I think I can feel them with my tongue. My question is what should I be doing to care for my gums. I am rinsing and using mouthwash but am scared to brush. My mouth feels ok, no pain, no bad taste but I am worried I should be doing more in terms of cleaning. My next dentist appointment is in 3 weeks time. Any advice appreciated from others who have had multiple extractions

All I can suggest is using salty water to rinse instead of mouthwash. I don't know if it is better or not. I just personally feel better with a gentle, warm rinse. Wouldn't worry about brushing, you'll know when you feel able to. Very regular rinsing should do the trick for now. :) And it's much cheaper too! Salty water or even plain water is still a rinse.
You'll get there.

Thank you for that. I will go back to warm salty water. I agree it seems to be something that helps. I am working on the theory that so long as it doesn't hurt, taste or smell bad then things must be OK. I was worried I should be brushing but it still feels too tender for that. Teeth what a nightmare they are☺Just looking forward to getting healed up and getting some teeth!

Back