• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Cause of pain unknown.

F

Feistygran

Hi everyone
This is going to be a long one. Apologies in advance.
After many years of being terrified of a visit to the dentist and losing many teeth, for the past 10 years I have managed to go for my 6 monthly visits. However, I now have a problem (I think) with a lower bicuspid.
It had a root canal many years ago and a filling put in and was fine for many years. Then in February I noticed that it was aching a bit and also felt pressure in it. Then shooting pains would go through it at random times. Various things would cause it like swallowing, eating, talking and brushing with toothbrush, but not all the time. The pain then moved into the next two teeth. So off I went to the dentist.
He did x rays, blew cold air on them but couldn't find anything wrong. The only thing that was sore was when he pressed on them. He was prepared to replace the filling in the root canalled tooth but then lock down struck.
The 3 teeth still ache and pain shooting through them but it is very random. Doesn't bother me at night and I can drink cold liquids no problem
So I am wondering what could the cause be and what tooth is causing the pain? If I go to the dentist just now he will only offer an extraction but I don't know what tooth is the actual problem.
Any advice?

Given that a dentist actually examined you and took x-rays, how could a blind guess from somebody who has never met you, other than seeing a post on the internet be any better?

Thanks for that. Won't bother you again.

Hi Feistygran, it does seem to border on the impossible to give any advice based on the information provided (unless perhaps you have some photos and x-rays you could attach which show something obvious - but then again, if it was that obvious, surely your own dentist would have spotted it?).

You could ask your dentist for a digital copy of the x-rays and post them here, and take some photos using our dental photography guide here:

Back