F
funwithrage
Junior member
- Joined
- Feb 6, 2015
- Messages
- 1
Hey, all!
So just had my six-month visit. The X-rays showed a bunch of cavities that weren't there last time (which seems weird since last time was in March, but whatever). Most are under existing fillings, and one is deep enough that it might need to be a root canal. I'm not feeling any pain in any of them--a little discomfort when the hygienist sprayed cold water, but nothing in normal life.
So, first of all: because they're under fillings, or in teeth with fillings, my thought is, meh, there's a decent chance of needing a root canal sooner or later. I might as well wait until I feel something, because a) I won't have wasted a bunch of money on fillings that way, and b) if I'm already in pain, I mind the procedure a lot less. (I've had a root canal or four in the past.) Seems a decent gamble, but wanted to know if there was something I was overlooking. I figure it could take months or years for things to get bad, and the dentist did say as much. (I have decent hygiene: brushing two times a day, flossing, flouride rinse when I haven't run out.)
Second: I was thinking about extraction as an alternative. I've got a small mouth and a slight overbite, so maybe my first five bottom teeth are visible when I'm talking/singing, and only about the top nine when I smile. Online is like "oh no your teeth will migrate and get crooked", but...how severe is that and how long does it take? Because honestly, if we're talking ten or twenty years...whatever. If it's one to five, I might be more worried.
Third: The needle going into the front of my gums hurt like hell at my last filling, even after the topical went on. The dentist said there was nothing they could do about that. Was she right?
Thanks!
So just had my six-month visit. The X-rays showed a bunch of cavities that weren't there last time (which seems weird since last time was in March, but whatever). Most are under existing fillings, and one is deep enough that it might need to be a root canal. I'm not feeling any pain in any of them--a little discomfort when the hygienist sprayed cold water, but nothing in normal life.
So, first of all: because they're under fillings, or in teeth with fillings, my thought is, meh, there's a decent chance of needing a root canal sooner or later. I might as well wait until I feel something, because a) I won't have wasted a bunch of money on fillings that way, and b) if I'm already in pain, I mind the procedure a lot less. (I've had a root canal or four in the past.) Seems a decent gamble, but wanted to know if there was something I was overlooking. I figure it could take months or years for things to get bad, and the dentist did say as much. (I have decent hygiene: brushing two times a day, flossing, flouride rinse when I haven't run out.)
Second: I was thinking about extraction as an alternative. I've got a small mouth and a slight overbite, so maybe my first five bottom teeth are visible when I'm talking/singing, and only about the top nine when I smile. Online is like "oh no your teeth will migrate and get crooked", but...how severe is that and how long does it take? Because honestly, if we're talking ten or twenty years...whatever. If it's one to five, I might be more worried.
Third: The needle going into the front of my gums hurt like hell at my last filling, even after the topical went on. The dentist said there was nothing they could do about that. Was she right?
Thanks!