• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Chipped front tooth - will it be composite bonded?

P

PAUL199

Hi all, I’m a newbie. Just wanted to ask a question. I chipped a small portion of enamel off the left hand side of my front tooth a while back - I was just about to cycle to work when a scooter went past clipped me, continuing on - i stumbled on my bike, fell over - my helmet took the brunt of my fall. Had a busted bloody lip and the chip off my front tooth. Even though I have an intense fear of the local dentist, I went over there. I eventually was called in to the office by the hygienist, while I was in the chair the dentist asked me to go to the local hospital ED department to get my lip sutured and I also required a tetanus injection (the ED department stitched my lip and I got a tetanus injection in the right arm from the nurse. Just to mention, the dentist couldn’t sort out my tooth initially due to the injury to my lip but while I was in the chair he said something to the effect to me that he can fix the tooth easily. My next appointment with him is in mid April, think he’s going to advise me what to do. A couple of people I know who have seen the tooth are saying it looks like it will be composite bonded. Had another look at my front tooth last night and there’s a silver of enamel missing on the bottom left hand side, this tooth protrudes slightly, it’s probably about a quarter of enamel missing at an angle, bottom left hand side of tooth, the right corner of the tooth is still there - just to add I’ve some slight pain and I’m taking Ibuprofen and eating soft foods. Would anyone think composite bonding sort the bottom of the tooth out? I’m not great with dentists as I have a real fear but going to drag myself to the appointment in mid April as I obviously have to get this tooth fixed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Impressive, you seem to have answered your question with your second post :)
Yes, bonded composite should be possible (going by your description).

Impressive, you seem to have answered your question with your second post :)
Yes, bonded composite should be possible (going by your description).
Hi Gordon, thanks very much for the reply.

Had another look at the front tooth this morning and as I say there’s a small angular chip off it. The tooth protrudes slightly but I think the dentist should be able to sort it for me, and I say I was initially in his chair with the busted lip but he couldn’t sort it for me then as I had to let the lip heal. I’d say it’s a 2 or 3mm angular chip.

Thank you Gordon - as I say a couple of people I know also think it will be composite bonded. Much appreciated.

Hi again, quick question - I’ve been advised to use some Dentek on my chipped front tooth until next Wednesday’s appointment. I’ve noticed I’ve some mild gum redness appearing just above the affected tooth, there is some mild inflammation - which is causing a little discomfort to none at all. Is this normal?

1) Why? Can't see any advantage whatever in doing so
2) You're probably not brushing it properly. Get stuck into it, you won't make it worse :)

1) Why? Can't see any advantage whatever in doing so
2) You're probably not brushing it properly. Get stuck into it, you won't make it worse :)
Thanks Gordon for the advice. I’ve been having continuing discomfort over the past few days - but I discovered that I’ve had a few mouth ulcers in my left hand side cheek area. Worrying constantly about the appointment isn’t helping things and probably contributing to my mouth ulcers. Sorry didn’t clarify, it’s an angular chip on my front tooth so was closing it off to avoid cutting my cheek. Thanks for the advice.

It won't stick that well and could compromise the bonding for the repair. If it's really sharp then give it a couple of gentle rubs with an emery board (seriously!).

Back