• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Clindamycin as dental antibiotic

Susanne

Susanne

I have been prescribed Clindamycin before for a toothache that ended up being treated with a root canal. I don't know if I will be prescribed antibiotics when I have my wisdom teeth removed, but I was going to ask the dentist about it at my upcoming appointment. Is Clindamycin a good antibiotic for dental infection and is it generally well tolerated? I am allergic to penicillin antibiotics, which is why I was been given Clindamycin before.

If the dentist prescribed clindamycin, then he believes that it is the best antibiotic for your particular infection. I would trust the doctor.

I am not a dentist, but in my experience clindamycin was the last resort for an infection that was resistant to broad spectrum antibiotics. My endodontist first prescribed a broad spectrum antibiotic, then a z pack, and clindamycin as a last resort. Clindamycin is very strong, and can really mess with your stomach and gut. It does the job for infections, but if you don't have an active infection, I would hesitate to take it. You can have dental surgery without antibiotics.

I have been prescribed Clindamycin before for a toothache that ended up being treated with a root canal. I don't know if I will be prescribed antibiotics when I have my wisdom teeth removed, but I was going to ask the dentist about it at my upcoming appointment. Is Clindamycin a good antibiotic for dental infection and is it generally well tolerated? I am allergic to penicillin antibiotics, which is why I was been given Clindamycin before.
It is a very good antibiotics. Clindamycin gets absorbed in the bone (where the infection is) better than any other antibiotics. Very effective indeed.

Thank you. I visited with the dentist this afternoon because one of my wisdom teeth has started to hurt a bit and the gum around it is sore. She prescribed Clindamycin 150mg to be taken 4 times daily until my appointment next Wednesday. Will be having the left side done first and the right side in a separate appointment.

Thank you. I visited with the dentist this afternoon because one of my wisdom teeth has started to hurt a bit and the gum around it is sore. She prescribed Clindamycin 150mg to be taken 4 times daily until my appointment next Wednesday. Will be having the left side done first and the right side in a separate appointment.

Be sure to get some probiotics. My doctor told me to take them in between the first and second dose of the day, at least an hour after or before the dose. It will help you not get the intestinal upset that is common.

I only prescribe antibiotics for a bone graft, implant placement, confirmed infection, and the rare medically required. They are grossly overused.

Clindamycin is a totally ridiculous antibiotic to prescribe for dentistry, especially for a mild wisdom tooth problem. No wonder we're having problems with antibiotic resistance :(

I only prescribe antibiotics for a bone graft, implant placement, confirmed infection, and the rare medically required. They are grossly overused.
Hi comfortdentist,
I agree with what you wrote. I know there where couple
i second that

Clindamycin is a totally ridiculous antibiotic to prescribe for dentistry, especially for a mild wisdom tooth problem. No wonder we're having problems with antibiotic resistance :(
I don’t agree. First of all, Clyndamycin is the drug of choose in osteomyelitis mainly because of its ability to get absorbed to the bone tissue.
It is true that in dentistry antibiotics is prescribed to often without a rightful indication but that has a marginal effect on bacterial resistance. Bacterial resistance is mainly caused because of the food industry.

@ the above dentists
I think Gordon is referring to prescribing clindamycin for what is described as sore gum rather than a significant infection without drainage. Personally for sore gum around a wisdom tooth when the extraction will be delayed I would lightly instrument the pericornal flap, irrigate and tell the patient to clean under the gum as best as possible and rinse frequently as first line therapy.

@ the above dentists
I think Gordon is referring to prescribing clindamycin for what is described as sore gum rather than a significant infection without drainage. Personally for sore gum around a wisdom tooth when the extraction will be delayed I would lightly instrument the pericornal flap, irrigate and tell the patient to clean under the gum as best as possible and rinse frequently as first line therapy.

Back in 2005 when I had a severe abscess tooth, that was the one were the emergency room doctor pulled all my teeth to drain the infection and cut holes outside on my face to make drain ports and kept me for 4 days. At that time I was on many IV bags of clindamycin and every 12 hours I got Toradol for pain, a week later I got endocarditis ( heart attack ) at home, I have a stint in me to this day, speaking from my experience Clindamycin is an incredible drug I always had a rubber hose taste in my mouth for some reason but I didn't care.

In 2012 I got a rather sever gum infection, due to my needle phobia I went to the doctor to late again, he prescribed amoxycillin I think 200 mg or 400 mg I can't exactly remember if one of the dentists is reading this maybe they could chime in and see if that dosage sounds right. I healed up very quick with just Amoxicillin.

I tend to agree with the above statements, I would be awfully careful with anti-biotic prescriptions, there is a big issue with super bugs in Canada here, my uncle who is diabetic got a real bad one, by the time the eradicated his infection it almost finished him off too.

I would like to add to this important discussion something new: every treatment has its cost-benefit ration. The “cost” of antibiotics is it’s side effects. Every antibiotics may have its unique side effects but all antibiotics harm the flora (bacterial colonies) in the digestion system which are crucial for nutrition. In other words: taking antibiotics harms per definition the body’s ability to absorb nutritions.

I had the prescription filled, but I have not yet started to take it. I am hesitant about taking antibiotics unnecessarily and when I went to the dentist the other day, she could not find anything on the xray that would suggest infection as a definite cause for my discomfort. She said the gum around my wisdom tooth was swollen and sore looking and first recommended salt water rinses, which I have been doing. She also said an anti-inflammatory such as ibuprofen could help.

I called to check yesterday and the dentist said it was up to me whether or not I wanted to take the antibiotic. She did not say it was absolutely imperative that I do so.

I also think some (or maybe all) of my discomfort is due to a clenched jaw. I can't seem to unclench it on that side and have tried both warm and cold compresses, stretching and massaging the area.

Back