• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Clindamycin for wisdom tooth infection

Susanne

Susanne

This morning, my dentist prescribed Clindamycin 150 mg to be taken 4x/day for the next week for a wisdom tooth infection. The area around the tooth has been quite sore for several days and I thought it was TMJ-related. The dentist said we could remove the tooth today, but because of my discomfort level, starting the antibiotics first would help clear the infection and make the area around the tooth easier to numb for the extraction. He said numbing would be more difficult when the area is sore/inflamed.

My question is how long/how many doses of the antibiotic does it take for the soreness/discomfort to start going away or feeling better?

Most antibiotics take 24-48 hrs to really start to improve things. Ibuprofen (if you can take it) and paracetamol should help in the meantime.

When I took clindamycin, I didn't notice a difference until I was on the last two pills. I actually thought it wasn't working. Then it just suddenly seemed to work. It think it is different for everyone.

In what percentage of patients do antibiotics such as Clindamycin cause serious side effects such as C diff infection? How concerned should I be about that if I'm on a 7-day course of Clindamycin (150 mg, 4x/day)? Is there any way to prevent that from happening?

I can't give you statistics, but I can tell you what my doctor told me. If you don't have the risk factors, such as immunodeficiencies, poor health, elderly, etc, it isn't very common to get c.diff. Another risk factor is having been on multiple rounds of antibiotics.

I was actually at risk of c.diff when I took clindamycin, because I had been on multiple rounds of antibiotics previously, mostly just amoxicillin, but I had been fighting an abscess for almost a year, and had been prescribed antibiotics almost once a month. My doctor told me to take a probiotic along with the clindamycin (she said to be sure to take culturelle brand, as not all probiotics are equal), and to space it out at least 2 hours before or after the antibiotics.

Can antibiotics cause fatigue as a side effect? I've felt really tired the past two days since starting Clindamycin. Other things could have contributed to feeling fatigued -- the jaw soreness and not sleeping/eating as well, anxiety over going to the dentist and over having to get wisdom teeth removed next week -- but I've really felt especially wiped out these past couple of days since starting the antibiotic. Just wondering if that could be the cause of my fatigue and why it would do that.

Susanne,

Sorry you are feeling so tired and fatigued.. that is not easy .. I'm not a Dr but I remember having to be on heavy duty antibiotics, actualy erythromycin. it was awful and I felt completely drained the whole.. time. I hope it gets better for you. The one I was on was not for dental but gastro issues.. just wanted to identify this can be a thing with antibioticls.

I am supposed to finish up a 7-day course of Clindamycin 150mg (1 every 6 hrs) two days before I am to have a wisdom tooth extraction. Should I be concerned about the infection coming back in those two days or will there still be enough of the medication working in my system to prevent that?

I am supposed to finish up a 7-day course of Clindamycin 150mg (1 every 6 hrs) two days before I am to have a wisdom tooth extraction. Should I be concerned about the infection coming back in those two days or will there still be enough of the medication working in my system to prevent that?

You shouldn't have any issues in two days. When I took clindamycin for a major infection (that the clindamycin wasn't strong enough to eradicate), I had a good two weeks before my infection came back. It is strong stuff and generally wipes out most infection.

Back