• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

CollegeBound Bound for a New College. Still NEED To Face Another Visit Before End of July

C

CollegeBound

CollegeBound Bound for a New College. Still NEED To Face Another Visit Before End of July

Hello everyone!

I am excited to say that I was accepted into Ball State University today :) They are the only college in Indiana with a Child Life program, so I am ecstatic!

However, through my excitement, this leads me to making plans on what needs to be dealt with before I leave in August. One of those is a check up. I don't know how to convince myself to go. I don't want to go. However, this time around I have extended my circle (a small amount) to people I can trust with this "secret", and I know that I will have the proper moral support, just no personal motivation. It doesn't help me that someone has to drive me because I don't drive yet.

Suggestions?

Re: CollegeBound Bound for a New College. Still NEED To Face Another Visit Before End of July

Hey CollegeBound!!!
CONGRATULATIONS !!!! What exciting news! I'm thrilled to hear all your hard work is starting to pay off and you're seeing your future fall into place the way you planned!! Love it when good things happen to good people like you!! Yay!! I'm glad you have plenty of time to get things in place before you start ... That will help create a smooth transition for you. I suppose this does include a trip to the dentist and I'm very proud of you for thinking proactively and taking control of a situation so personally challenging. I don't know what that feeling is like as I am always approaching reactively after something has gone wrong or when there's a problem but can imagine it would empower you overall (maybe not until it was over but I'd bet it would make the next appointment a little easier). I wish I knew just what to say to help you GET there ... Unfortunately I have an appointment this Friday I can barely get myself to attend so.....
Maybe if you somehow tie it into the excitement of planning for the new life chapter vs fear and dread of seeing it as "another appointment" and make it fun with a reward after shopping for something for your dorm or clothes or ice cream or whatever that would make it a fun experience with your driver too. Just a thought. So very happy for your great news, CollegeBound!!!

Re: CollegeBound Bound for a New College. Still NEED To Face Another Visit Before End of July

I almost cried when I got the call. I was at school and was talking to the admissions guy and jumping up and down like I was on a pogo stick. I was so excited.

As for an appointment, we shall see. I have done research tonight about potential places, and two look okay so far. I don't want someone to go with me, but I can't help that because I can't drive.

Tell me more about your appointment! PM me or email me or find me on Facebook. I miss you woman!

You should be excited and have every reason to bounce with happiness!!! You're changing your life by continuing your education and will be changing the lives of countless children and their families when you finish - what's not to be happy about?? Oh, right .... the dang dentist appointment thing!!!! Should be "small" in the whole scheme of things, I suppose - but it sure takes on a life of its own, doesn't it???

I know you'd rather go alone - Just a thought here - is there someone you trust that is maybe going and you could casually go with? Not even to have anything done, just to go and kind of "desensitize" in a way? See if you like the place first? Didn't you mention a friend's mom a while back who also hated to go? Maybe you could talk? I wish I had better ideas - 2 years later, months of therapy under my belt with 2 different Dr's, countless visits to nameless, faceless offices and I have yet to get my own junk handled so "do as I say, not as I do" , I suppose!!!!

Hey you two! CB - maybe you could have someone drop you off and pick you up (and not stay in the waiting room)? Maybe a friend who drives? The sooner you do it, the more time you have to just focus on school in August (instead of on this appointment). You got this!!!

Mugz - I will reach out. Hang in there, my friend!

Apparently, I never got notifications that you guys responded. I'm sorry.

Mugz, You have some GREAT ideas, but I intentionally do not talk about this issue with my friend's mother because we are just now (a year later) getting to a point where we can message each other again. I think I kind of called her out and embarrassed her without trying to. As for another friend's appointment, there are two major issues with that plan. 1) Only a selective few know about this issue, so asking someone if I could tag along is weird. I wouldn't want that to happen to me, so invading someone else's privacy would be too much for me. That, and 2) If I can't even watch You Tube videos on this stuff without having to pause and regroup, throwing myself in that situation without a pause button seems overwhelming. I would like to congratulate you again for your bravery with your appointment. Super proud!

And Fearful, I have considered the "drop and run" method, but more so with public transportation. There is an office that is in a plaza that I have looked at, and thought about saying I wanted to be dropped off in front of a different store, walking to the office and dealing with the appointment, and then walking back to the store to get on public transportation. Goodness, I feel like I am doing something bad by sneaking around. Great advice though!!!!!!

Taking public transit to appointments is something that actually works well for me because I find it easier to be alone when I'm trying to manage anxiety about appointments. Plus a little walk before and after also helps to calm my nerves.

Thought about walking around the dollar store to scout out my reward. Lol

So my dad's insurance is only accepted at one office near me, so I guess that helped me narrow down my options. Still scared to make an appointment because my mom said that he was expensive and pushy. I don't like either of those words. And I am still scared that I will have to deal with fillings and stuff, which leads to injections, which still leads to panic. They cycle continues and the avoiding continues. I am going to try to make an appointment for next week of the week after.

And, it seems like everywhere I turn, someone is talking about teeth or appointments and I cannot just bow out of the conversation as I normally do. I feel bombarded and like I'm being cornered. Or maybe I'm just paranoid. Who knows?

All I know is this is the last thing I want to do. I'd almost rather have to have a tarantula crawl all over me than do this, and I HATE spiders of all kinds.

Back