• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Common practice locally to remove wisdom teeth in pre teens.

  • Thread starter Thread starter scareddiane
  • Start date Start date
S

scareddiane

Member
Joined
May 30, 2013
Messages
62
I live in Georgia and we recently had two teens die after coming home from widsom teeth removal. The news said they were found dead in their bed. Pain meds had been given.......

It's very, very common now for children as young as 12 to have all four widsom teeth removed just 'because'. My friend had her 17 year old daughter and 12 year old son both have their wisdom teeth removed this week and neither had any reason behind it other than the dentist said to. Since there was no impaction, etc, they had to pay out of pocket.

I don't understand the need to remove teeth that are causing no concerns. My 67 year old husband still has two of his wisdom teeth that never broke thru the skin but are causing no problems!
 
I was told to have mine out because they "might cause problems when I'm older". However, I'll take my chances.... if it ain't broke, don't fix it
 
I agree with both sentiments. Over the last 14 years I've had 3 different dentists tell me my wisdom teeth need removed and quite honestly they aren't giving me any trouble so I have no interest in getting them removed. If they start giving me problems I will consider it then, but not a minute sooner.
 
Back
Top