• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

community dental services

S

snapper

Community dental services has been mentioned to me as an alternative to the high street dentist, however, it seems that for the patient be accepted for treatment, the patient must meet criteria in a complicated pathway. I would need be assessed to have a mental disorder which I do not consider I have.

I have fears and concerns about receiving dental care. I dont trust dentists due to some bad experiences from not so ethical dentists that cause me to question future treatments, if maybe rather directly.

Is dental anxiety/phobia considered a mental health disorder?

I'm in England and I'm considering using a dental access centre to see if they can put my front crown back. I'm not aware of any complicated process, you just turn up don't you just like the centres if you're not registered with a GP.

Dental access centres are different from the community dental service.

The dentists working in the community dental service (CDS) are specifically trained to deal with patients who cannot cope with treatment in a normal practice. So this would include special needs, the handicapped, very young children requiring extensive treatment and those with phobias and anxiety. The idea was, that with their special skills, and lack of time pressure (they are paid a salary rather than a fee for each treatment), they would be able to provide the best care of these groups of patients. Unfortunately, due to successive cuts in funding they are no longer able to provide this wonderful service to all who need it. As a result, in many areas you have to jump through all sorts of hoops to be seen. In my area, phobic and anxious adults are no longer offered treatment and are simply packed off to the nearest sedation clinic. A great shame!

Dental Access centres are a political creation by the last govenrment to get round the bad newspaper stories and pictures of people queuing to register with an NHS dentist. They consist of salaried dentists employed to treat anyone who shows up. They do not, generally, have any special training or skills in treating apprehensive patients. On the whole, they will get you out of pain then tell you to register with an NHS dentist to complete any none urgent treatment.

So snapper … I do not think you will be able to access the community dental service, but it worth a try. You need to do some research to fine a caring and trustworthy dentist in your neck of the wood.

Lunartic … the dental access centre should for fine to getting your crown put back on.

Good luck to you both.

Lincoln

If it helps any, no one has posted a bad experience with Dental Access Centres or the Community Dental Service on here to date. They are both salaried as Lincoln noted.
I would guess the DAC are used to seeing nervous people with toothaches purely from the nature of the work and maybe quickly develop appropriate approaches. It is a shame they can only deal with the immediate emergency although I suppose that is the only way to keep them freely available to deal with the emergencies.

Lincoln - since I often comment on this, does the sedation service which is offered do comprehensive restorative treatment or is it extraction only? Does this vary from area to area as I have always been led to believe?

Totally unethical to refer an NHS patient to an extraction-only sedation service without pointing out to them that they could get sedation for restorative care in the private sector.

Hi Brit,

Regarding the CDS sedation service.... I do believe what is on offer varies from area to area. I think in my area restorative is available but not one hundred per cent sure.
The local sedation clinic do offer restorative treatment although they try to limit what is on offer because of the current NHS payment system. They have to work so fast patients report it is a real production line. This is far form ideal for apprehensive patients.

Lincoln

Hi Brit,

Regarding the CDS sedation service.... I do believe what is on offer varies from area to area. I think in my area restorative is available but not one hundred per cent sure.
The local sedation clinic do offer restorative treatment although they try to limit what is on offer because of the current NHS payment system. They have to work so fast patients report it is a real production line. This is far form ideal for apprehensive patients.

Lincoln

Probably also quality is compromised too.
I have always understood that CDS offers whatever the patient needs(within reason) including GA. It's the ('privately contracted') NHS sedation clinic which I understood varied in what they offered from area to area.

My son sees the Community Dentist Service as a young adult. He was offered treatment under local anaesthetic, iv sedation or general anaesthetic - his choice. The treatment was not just extraction ( he didn't need any extractions ) - so far only fillings and probably a visit to the hygienist. He chose treatment under local.

Thanks all. some brilliant responses.

As for dental access centres, I wouldn't go near them. Im seeing a NHS dentist at the moment that seems ok. Not 100% sure though. I'm trying to trust him but dont think it's working.
May need to look around again.

Back