• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Computer Guided implant

I

Iamnatalies

Hi there,

I'm a long time "lurker" but this is my first post.

I have a complicated dental history, which after a raft of different therapies I finally had the courage to address. I had so far successfully navigated having 2 broken wisdom teeth extractions, and 4 molars, and a deep clean/root planing.

I'm now healed enough to embark on the next stage which is 7 implants - tomorrow in fact!

I am starting to get nervous about the process, even though my dentist has been through the details and told me that the process is quick (guided implants). I am having them done where I live (In Turkey) and some things get lost in translation.

My big concerns are the discomfort during and after, and when can I expect to return to work. Will there be a lot of swelling, my dentist says not, but I find that hard to believe if I'm having 7 implants at the same time.

What exactly is the deal with guided implants and how different is recovery (no gum flaps, no stitches) I can only really find experiences of traditional implant surgery.

I would really appreciate it if any dentists (or patients) on here have experience of guided implants, if you would share your experience.

Thank you so much, in advance.

Nat.

Can't give you any direct experience of guided implants, but placement of implants in general does not cause a lot of post-op problems.
This is because it's absolutely imperative when placing the implant to cause as little trauma to the bone as possible, we use extremely slow and careful techniques with lots of cooling to avoid raising bone temps and the implants are fitted very slowly and carefully.

Thank you Gordon!

Well as luck would have it, the actual process was super easy, the only thing I felt was the vibration and a bit of pulling and tugging, that was it. I had two dental surgeons, only a local, and the whole thing was over in about 60 minutes.

However, afterwards was intense! I am fine now, but initially as soon as the local anesthesia started wearing off, boy, did I know about it! Though I did get 7 implants - so I'm not sure what I expected.

We will see how I go, I'm on a whack of painkillers and been told explicitly that there are no prizes for toughing it out when it comes to pain - and to take them on a regular schedule and rest ( that bit is easier said than done).

Thank you once again, Gordon.

Back