• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Concern about enamel

J

Jen615

I have a question about enamel and how it becomes damaged, as I am having a bit of a freak out.
Back story-I avoided the dentist for literally three decades due to fear and lack of funds. I finally went back due to an infected wisdom tooth and now I am ready to get everything done! This will include braces to fix an open bite and some crowding.
Just went to the periodontist to make sure I am OK to get said braces-I am relieved that my pocket measurements are not horrible! Couple of 4s and 5s, but nothing worse. Will need a few gum grafts, but totally manageable stuff.
HOWEVER, the perio freaked me out BADLY as he was making comments to the assistant about my front teeth. Each tooth has a large area in which the enamel is worn away to expose the dentin. I HATE them and will be getting veneers, but my general dentist thought I should do my ortho consults first.
Aside from the fact that I avoided the dentist for so long, I used to literally sip on a HUGE iced coffee all day long. My general dentist thinks this is the cause. The perio say coffee does not cause that. He asked if I had ever had an eating disorder; I am not bulimic, nor have I ever been. I got the distinct impression he did not believe me. He also asked about acid reflux. I think I would be aware if I had acid reflux THAT bad, and would probably be pretty miserable!
My question is, could heavy prolonged coffee consumption cause this? (I now know better and drink my coffee quickly, rinsing with water after.) Or do I just have really weak enamel or...?
Side note-although the perio is otherwise great, I am not sure I want to go back. It really bugs me that he thinks I have "bulimia teeth" and am not telling the truth about it.
Thanks in advance!

Where is the enamel loss? From the front of the tooth then your coffee habit may be responsible, from the back then reflux is more likely.

Where is the enamel loss? From the front of the tooth then your coffee habit may be responsible, from the back then reflux is more likely.
Thanks for the quick reply Gordon! The loss is on the front part of my two front teeth. Other than giving up coffee (not going to happen!) do you have any tips? I AM trying to just drink my coffee quickly and then rinse with water!

Just your luck when I get finished with doggie duties or grandad duties to get onto the forum :)

Anyway, just make sure you don't sip at anything for hours on end, except plain water. Did you ever drink a lot of acid drinks like sodas or fruit juices?

Just your luck when I get finished with doggie duties or grandad duties to get onto the forum :)

Anyway, just make sure you don't sip at anything for hours on end, except plain water. Did you ever drink a lot of acid drinks like sodas or fruit juices?
Lol, thanks Gordon! I have never been a big pop drinker, but did drink a fair amount of juice as a kid. Trying to be better about WATER (especially since the veneers I want are not going to be cheap. Thanks for all your help!

It was always a bit distressing for parents who thought they were giving their children "healthy" fruit juices to drink to be told the kid would need multiple extractions as a result... smoothies are worse!

Back