• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Confused about drinking through straws.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Stasisesque
  • Start date Start date
S

Stasisesque

Member
Joined
May 25, 2008
Messages
25
I have JUST had all my wisdom teeth (6 in total) and a molar beyond saving removed under general anaesthetic. And I mean just, got it done this morning, so am just about to start the salt rinses.

I'm so confused though, everywhere I've ever seen has said to absolutely not under any circumstances, drink through a straw following an extraction as it may dislodge a blood clot and lead to dry socket. BUT, all my aftercare instructions advise me to drink through a straw - even at the hospital, the nurse gave me a glass of water to drink post surgery... with a straw.

What am I meant to do?*:'(
 
Hey

It is OK to drink with a straw, just do it gently.
:D
 
Thank you. :) I thought it would be, else they wouldn't have given me a straw - but it contradicted everything I'd ever read, so I panicked.

Still really worried about developing dry socket, though.
 
Many people are afraid of it but it is a very rare complication, which can be dealer with. Given the fact that you had the extraction in a hospital makes the chances of getting it even lower :).
I would suggest concentrating in taking it easy and getting your strength back. General anesthesia plus extractions are mot easy for the body.
 
Back
Top